Wind sensor positioning

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yes, I'll have to look into it. Fun to play with those features! Still, it won't correct for deviations caused by the bad air.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not to get overly technical, but the wind vane on the electronic sensor is only 6 inches long and has low rotary inertia. Thus it responds rapidly to turbulence with very little damping, which results in the display in the cockpit exhibiting rapid oscillatory motion which is difficult to "average" optically. My windex is 16 inches long and damps out optically the small turbulence induced oscillations due to the distance from the eye. So I see a much more stable direction cue than if I had glanced at the Raymrine display. YMMV.
Not to get too technical, but all modern marine wind systems use sophisticated damping algorithms to greatly reduce that effect. It introduces a small amount of hysteresis, but thats an OK tradeoff.

But to your other point, you're right. Wind instruments are really only good for: TRUE wind speed, and TRUE wind direction going downwind (polar sailing). Everything else, feel and eyeballs are better.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A damping factor can often be applied in the software of the instrument to hide those small oscillations. I know there's an option for that in our B&G menus, so I presume Scott's has it too.
That's what I thought too. I looked in the manual last night and could not find a reference to it. There was reference to calibration and dampening options if the boat has the H5000 Computer installed. There may be an option for how often the angle and windspeed are updated, say every second, every 5 seconds etc. That will take some of the variation due to turbulence out of the reading.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Ideally, you should have two wind sensors. One in front, one behind the mast. For a cruising sailor, I would dare to claim that behind the mast is a better location. I would rather have good wind reading when broad reaching under a spinnaker, instead of close hauled which is always easier to trim just by looking at the sales. That being said, mine is forward mounted for now.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I wonder if you would have to wire it backwards to get the proper wind direction?

Maybe in Australia it would work that way.
Well, no. The instrument has a setting where you tell it to adjust 180 degrees. You can mount it sideways and adjust it 90 degrees if you want!

So, based on recent comments, it seems like I will leave it alone!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That's what I thought too. I looked in the manual last night and could not find a reference to it. There was reference to calibration and dampening options if the boat has the H5000 Computer installed. There may be an option for how often the angle and windspeed are updated, say every second, every 5 seconds etc. That will take some of the variation due to turbulence out of the reading.
Check the Installation manual instead of the Owners manual. Our current Zeus3 and previous NSS8 both mention the option there.

Nov 8, 2010
That will take some of the variation due to turbulence out of the reading.
You have to remember it’s not turbulence. It’s a angle deflection and speed delta based on apparent wind speed and angle. Turbulence might oscillate around a mean, and you could null all that out. Deflection you can’t.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well, no. The instrument has a setting where you tell it to adjust 180 degrees. You can mount it sideways and adjust it 90 degrees if you want!

So, based on recent comments, it seems like I will leave it alone!
I did a survey here at this marina, all the sailboats have them facing forward. Four ospreys in the trees across the creek but not interested with sitting on mastheads. I just did a list for repairs when we haul next week and transducer fixing is on it.

Nov 8, 2010
Talked to a friend at B&G. He says ALWAYS forward. Not only the updraft is much less, but (dah) the wand is not in the way to disrupt windspeed readings. Want the best of the best? the new WS700 sensor with a 1.8 meter carbon wand. Only $4200. The long wand doubles the price but it really helps. No self-respecting TP52 sails without one!

https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/instr...40s-ocean-spec-vert.-wind-snsr-1.8m-755e688b/

Nov 8, 2010