Height of trailer hitch.

Apr 12, 2016
Macgregor Venture 222 Waconia
Hi,
I have a MacGregor 22 and was wondering how high the trailer hitch sits off the ground [I have the sailboat in storage right now and it is not handy]? I need to buy a hitch receiver for my Toyota Sequoia you need to know how much of a drop the hitch should have, so the trailer sits flat or tilts down slightly.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Hi,
I have a MacGregor 22 and was wondering how high the trailer hitch sits off the ground [I have the sailboat in storage right now and it is not handy]? I need to buy a hitch receiver for my Toyota Sequoia you need to know how much of a drop the hitch should have, so the trailer sits flat or tilts down slightly.

Can't you just get the tow vehicle all set up with the tube receiver and then load your boat and then measure once it IS handy?

Name brand hitch parts can be easily had all across the country at a multitude of outlets so availability once you know what you exactly need really isn't an issue I don't think.

It is best to measure YOUR stuff....

Apr 12, 2016
Unfortunately it’s about an hour out of town, and I’ll need the receiver to go pick it up. My Toyota receiver sits about 19 inches off of the ground ( to the top of the receiver channel). Maybe I’ll buy a couple receivers and use the one that fits, and return the other one. I guess my dilemma is to decide whether to buy 4, and a 6 inch drop.., or a 6 and 8 inch drop. I’d rather have the trailer lean down than up.

Apr 12, 2016
I didn’t realize I can get it adjustable hitch for a reasonable price. Good idea. Thanks

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I didn’t realize I can get it adjustable hitch for a reasonable price. Good idea. Thanks

I have one of those adjustable ones.
I quit using it and bought a hard drop bar because
the adjustable rattled and squeaked so darn much
and felt sloppy when starting and stopping.
I'm sure it was fine but it just annoyed me all of the time.

Keep in mind that how you load the boat forward of the trailer wheels and how
you load the rear of your tow vehicle will affect the final height of the hitch.
These trailers tongues don't ride very high to begin with.
Also mind your tongue weight.
I ended up putting new leaf springs on my Jeep because it sagged too much
after I got the loads where I needed them so the trailer didn't sway wildly.
Just sayin',,,

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have an adjustable hitch that I use only for retrieving my boat. A fellow sailor watched me tow the boat from the ramp to the parking area and said that the hitch was flexing. I cannot imagine towing my 5000 pound boat with that adjustable hitch other than just up to the parking place.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Harbor freight has them for less. I've towed the Mac thousands of miles with one. Jammed some aluminum strap in it to take the slop out. Once you know the drop or lift you need then replace it if you don't like it. No one can tell you the lift or drop you need probably, to many variables,

Sumner

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
For my 26S to sit level on the factory trailer I have the top of the ball at 17".

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Can you not just level your trailer(or a little lower) and measure and then measure your tow vehicle and go to the nearest auto parts store and get what you need? No need to go all the way home.;)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The ideal height of the hitch and tongue connector is to have the rails of the trailer parallel to the ground with the correct tongue weight on the ball. Since the trailer is not available I would suggest you purchase an adjustable hitch for the receiver. You can adjust height and tongue weight with it. Get one rated for the load and tongue weight of your trailer.