Boater Lost off Whidbey Isl WA

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Glad I'm not boating on the Left coast. That is a tragedy. The Coasties and 911 should be soundly whipped over this. A USCG helo or rescue boat should have been dispatched. If you are a rescue boat and you can't handle small swells, 6 to 8 is nothing, don't call yourself rescue. I'm so sorry for the family of Richard Seay. Horrible story. This is a good story to justify an EPIRB. I don't think they can ignore that signal.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Glad I'm not boating on the Left coast. That is a tragedy. The Coasties and 911 should be soundly whipped over this. A USCG helo or rescue boat should have been dispatched. If you are a rescue boat and you can't handle small swells, 6 to 8 is nothing, don't call yourself rescue. I'm so sorry for the family of Richard Seay. Horrible story. This is a good story to justify an EPIRB. I don't think they can ignore that signal.
Local Fds are not funded federally so tax base budget dictates level and capabilities. Small budget equals small boat. Fds also don't have a responsibility to cover waters unless they decide too. I believe the Fd in that area is all volunteer also so.....I guess the whipping should be focused on those who don't wear PFDs on a routine bases.

Last edited:

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Any response from USCG? Was the 911 call forwarded? He doesn't say if he tried to radio mayday? Yes PDF's, especially in that kind of weather, and a waterproof MB radio.
Too bad, horrible.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A sad story. And I extend my sympathies to the families of the victim.
In my own observation of marine accidents I have seen that if you are relying on USCG or other government provided rescue, or even private rescue, you are in trouble. The problem with water rescue is that tragedy happens in minutes and response takes hours. In most every case I know about the victim is either rescued by local actors or dead by the time the rescue effort starts. That is not a dis of the rescue personal but simply a recognition of the fact that responders cannot be everywhere all the time. Yeah there are problems with the communications and this and that. But fundamentally time is not on the side of the victim.
We've had successful rescues in our area but the first responders need to prepare and launch boats to effect those rescues. It takes time. If you are in trouble you don't have - time.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It bothers me that the boat that watched them go down did nothing but call it in. The guys said "they watched to boat in front of them" or words to that effect. They should have made every attempt to perform a rescue or at least stay on location. I was not there so I am armchairing this. Also, I am bothered by the text of the message. He said he called a mayday before the boat went down. Was it in vain? And the other boat, did they not have a radio. Sorry... I need the whole story, not just one side. Sorry for the loss of life, but could it have been prevented even without the help of the CG or local authorities. Your life is in your hands, not the CG. JMHO

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
So after finding one man unconscious in the water and later finding a body in the water "Lilburn (public affairs for the CG PNW) said the original call of a capsized boat is still considered unfounded." I hope the article is not written in the proper chronological order or that should be grounds for severe disciplinary action.
Don't count on rescue is always a good mantra. The dead man was not wearing a life jacket, the man found alive was. I'd say being out in weather like that in a small boat warrants wearing your life jacket and, in the PNW, proper survival gear, at least a floater coat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Glad I'm not boating on the Left coast.
I am, too. That is an unusually insensitive comment about the CG. The unfortunate boaters used a cell phone? C'mon, given the rapidity of the sinking, you really can't blame those first responders because the victims didn't use the correct equipment to call for help. I, too, send my condolences. Waiting for help to come when one hasn't contacted said help doesn't seem to be something one can blame on the CG.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Always sad for the loss of life.

Something in the text message doesn’t add up. He’s typing on the phone of the guy who rescued him (line 9), but he got out of the hospital yesterday (Last line).

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Simple, SUP to Titanic the captain is responsible for the safety of boat and crew.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
He called in a Mayday, but was there actually a response to it or was he talking to dead air? Terrible tragedy, but as an above comment said, you are responsible for you.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Being in the public realm for 20+ years, I've come to know that media rarely gets the facts/details correct in incidents like this. Even after a PIO release. Assuming is a waste of time and energy.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
For the last decade or so the CG has been recommending (and, just short of insisting) that all boaters wanting help first use their cel phone.
I have often wondered if this advice to use a common calling device, even tho actual coverage is dependent on distance and presence of towers, should have been given so much push that VHF 16 has sort of become 'secondary' in in initiating contact.
While it's great to use every means at your disposal when in trouble, VHF sometimes almost gets denigrated to a marine version of CB radio. Admittedly it does not help much that enforcement for misuse is spotty at best.
As for swamped vessels, this can happen so quickly in large steep seas that rescue is very difficult. A bit over a decade ago I was crewing of a sailboat heading out of Astoria for a trip down to SF, and it was really rough with a fast-rising wind and wave situation. They closed the bar to small craft two hours after we crossed, and that was after a 24 foot sport fishing boat was swamped and two guys drowned.
We were all all in full foulies and harnesses, in a very seaworthy design, but we really should have waited another day to head out.

Most of the fishermen we see out there are using boats not designed for the conditions and are not fully dressed and in good PFD's. I wonder how many of them have a waterproof VHF clipped to their outfit?
(I recall a couple of times when a deputy from the local River Patrol has addressed our YC, and said they find many many guys out fishing that do NOT regard themselves as "boaters" but just view their boat as a place from which to fish. )

Back to the opening sentence, I have heard a ch. 16 call to the CG, where the called was told repeatedly to switch to a cel phone. And this was on a day where the channel was clear and other listeners were properly keeping clear of it.

**It would be educational to read the incident report from the CG standpoint but we probably will not get a chance.
And...as others point out, we really do not know all of the facts and pure speculation is the purpose of the internet. :(

One other note about phoning in to 911.... in our large metro area there is a fair chance that the operator will not initially know how to respond to a call from a boater. They probably will not comprehend lat. and lon.
(A lot of fault lies with the boaters, too, who say that, on a river area about a half mile wide and in a section that is 20 miles long, they are near .... an "island".... Yikes. )

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Interesting discussion re: cell phones. I can hardly believe that the CG wishes “mayday” calls be made on a cell phone to 911 before anything is transmitted onVHF 16. Am I following this thread correctly? Doesn’t seem possible.:doh:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Right. The Coast Guard ignored a distress call. Give me a break. I call bs on the guy who was rescued and everybody else in this thread who thinks his story is true.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
RADIO INFORMATION FOR BOATERS From USCG

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
CELLULAR TELEPHONES ON BOATS

The Coast Guard does not advocate cellular phones as a substitute
for the regular maritime radio distress and safety systems
recognized by the Federal Communications Commission and the
International Radio Regulations -- particularly VHF maritime
radio. However, cellular phones can have a place on board as an
added measure of safety.

CELLULAR PHONE LIMITATIONS IN AN EMERGENCY

o Cellular phones generally cannot provide ship to ship safety
communications or communications with rescue vessels. If you
make a distress call on a cellular phone, only the one party
you call will be able to hear you.

o Most cellular phones are designed for a land-based service.
Their coverage offshore is limited, and may change without
notice.

o Locating a cellular caller is hard to do. If you don't
know precisely where you are, the Coast Guard will have
difficulty finding your location on the water.

Note: In some areas, however, cellular providers have
established a special code (*CG) which, if you are in range, will
connect you directly to a Coast Guard Operations Center. This
service may only work with the carrier to which you have
subscribed.

CELLULAR/VHF MARINE RADIO COMPARISON

Cellular phones do provide the convenience of simple,
easy-to-use, inexpensive, private and generally reliable
telephone service to home, office, automobile or other locations.
Placing a shore-to-ship call to someone with a cellular telephone
is especially convenient. However, you cannot use your cellular
phone outside the United States, and you may need a special
agreement with your carrier to use it outside that carrier's
local service area.

VHF marine radios were designed with safety in mind. If you are
in distress, calls can be received not only by the Coast Guard
but by ships which may be in position to give immediate
assistance. A VHF marine radio also helps ensure that storm
warnings and other urgent marine information broadcasts are
received. The Coast Guard announces these broadcasts on VHF
channel 16. Timely receipt of such information may save your
life. Additionally, your VHF marine radio can be used anywhere
in the United States or around the world.

On VHF radios, however, conversations are not private and
individual boats cannot be assigned a personal phone number. If
you are expecting a call, channel 16 or the marine operator's
working channel must be continually monitored.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I had an emergency operating a liveaboard dive vessel in the Bahamas some years back, neither VHF nor SSB was satisfactory for my need to communicate with the CG. I used one of the very first cell phones @ something like $9.00 a minute to communicate without interruption or signal fade and it was great. I'll take a cell call over VHF or SSB anytime.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When I had an emergency operating a liveaboard dive vessel in the Bahamas some years back, neither VHF nor SSB was satisfactory for my need to communicate with the CG. I used one of the very first cell phones @ something like $9.00 a minute to communicate without interruption or signal fade and it was great. I'll take a cell call over VHF or SSB anytime.
Non-sequitur:doh: