Pepe Le Pew, Skunky Around Our Docks!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
This past sat was our clubs "docks go in day", where all the member help out. If you look closely you'll see a young skunk peeking out of the top of a dock pylon . Unbeknownst to the workers the poor little guy was inside the large pipe when it was picked up from the ground by a crane and stood upright in the water. He was spotted shortly after and seemed to be struggling to stay above water. All ended well as one of my co-workers and myself removed him safely and he was released to roam once more (except for a couple of stinky workers, yes he did spray us!)

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I guess that's better than the usual smell complaints around boats. Maybe Peggie Hall will have some advice for that too.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Great (although short) story. Brave people were involved. The photo is a nice touch. Brings to mind Frank Buck and "Bring 'em Back Alive".

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
All ended well as one of my co-workers and myself removed him safely and he was released to roam once more (except for a couple of stinky workers, yes he did spray us!)
:clap: I'm glad you saved the little creature.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
That wharf has got some serious concrete problems!
It sure does, that wharf is not actually part of our club ,but it is slated for a rebuild in the next few years. The CCG use it occasionally.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I guess that's better than the usual smell complaints around boats. Maybe Peggie Hall will have some advice for that too.
This article has a few remedies for de-skunking dogs https://newengland.com/today/living/home-remedies/skunk-odor-removal/ It begins "Did someone in your household (furry or otherwise) have a run-in with a skunk? Get our best skunk odor removal tips and tricks." so it should work for humans.
I'd try soaking clothing in a bucket of cold water with about a quart of PureAyre in it before washing it (or afterward if you've already washed it but still have odor), then run it all through the laundry.

Fun story...And VERY good on ya for saving the little ingrate...or maybe he was so scared and exhausted that his stink valve went off accidentally.
--Peggie

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Two college students, A and B (maybe engineers?)

A I got a pet skunk.
B Where are you going to keep it?
A In my room.
B What about the smell?
A He will just have to used to it, same as I did.

Paraphrased from Patrick McManus
Wife: What would you do if you ran over a skunk with the car?
Husband: I would dig a hole and bury it. Might even bury the skunk too.

I applaud your humanity for saving the dude.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Skunk stink is easy to get rid of. The spray is a strong alkali and all you need to remove the smell is to make it PH balanced. Tomato juice is the old standard and it works because it is acidic. There are much better liquid acids that will not harm human skin or clothing. Any vinegar will do the trick but my favorite is Coca Cola. I have been skunked point-blank head to toe. strip down and use one bottle of coke in a bowl and a wash rag. Wipe down with straight coke and bath normally and the stink is gone. Put all cloths, wallet, money, in a five gallon bucket with about a cup of white vinegar and the rest water.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The evening ritual years ago was to let our black lab out for a few minutes before going to sleep. One hot August night my wife let him out. I got the first whiff but couldn’t place the odor because it was so overwhelming. My wife opened the door and our dog jumps in her arms. Now it is just overpowering. My wife drops the dog, the dog runs through the house rolling on the carpets, my wife’s crying, and I’m trying to get the dog back outside. After an hour at least the dog quit barking.

To this day my wife and all her friends believe that this was all my fault.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I got the first whiff but couldn’t place the odor because it was so overwhelming.
That's true! When our dog was sprayed, I said that I wasn't sure if it was a skunk because it smelled overwhelmingly like burnt garlic to me. It took a while before it actually smelled like skunk.