Kubota engine 7.9 kw from generator....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
so when I bought my boat, it came with an Onan generator..... think 5.5 kw, however the electronic part is shot. The engine has 269 hours and reported to be in good condition. I am now just getting around to getting this out of the boat. So what to do with the engine. any thoughts.....

Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sell it on this site or Craig's List. Somebody could have the exact opposite situation and use the engine. Or someone might use it to re-power a small sailboat. There are lots of McGiver's out there.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
so when I bought my boat, it came with an Onan generator..... think 5.5 kw, however the electronic part is shot. The engine has 269 hours and reported to be in good condition. I am now just getting around to getting this out of the boat. So what to do with the engine. any thoughts.....

Greg
Greg:
Are you totally convinced it is "shot"? Onan has a very good reputation, and problems with the electronic/electrical parts of all these small yacht generators are difficult to diagnose. Have you had a reputable Onan maintenance tech look it over? 269 hours is very low. It certainly be a shame to pull it out when it may be repairable. As an example, I had a problem with my Fischer Panda at around 600 hrs that nobody could diagnose. It just wouldn't run. Finally I was talking to F-P maintenance one day and the guy says "..did you try disconnecting xyz...? I did, and it started right up. Just saying, be patient and cautious. Onan makes a good unit.
Rick

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
The prior owner never used the generator correctly. Used it to just use the hair dryer for his wife...... never put the necessary load on the unit. They had an estimate of 7500 to repair from the yard/Onan tech and he backed that off the negotiated price of the boat. I then spoke to the yard where the boat was originally commissioned and he echoed that the unit was abused and had been pulled before for repairs. I am pulling the unit and have a guy that is going to evaluate it. I agree it’s a shame.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Sell it on this site or Craig's List. Somebody could have the exact opposite situation and use the engine. Or someone might use it to re-power a small sailboat. There are lots of McGiver's out there.
I agree..... make a nice little inboard for a small boat. It will end up in my garage for years..... probably should pickle it.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA

Greg
Hi Greg, we purchased our 1991 P42 Hunter in 2002, which came equipped with an Onan 8kw Genset with 235 hours. It now has about 450 hours and a wonderful asset to our cruising experience for heating water, refilling the house bank, cooking, etc.

Onan used a three cylinder marine grade Kubota tractor diesel to drive the electrical generator unit. If it were my boat I would have Onan diagnose the problem and get it operating again, FWIW.