Tell us about your recent sailing adventure

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry Mark. It was just an in and out. Will be back again this summer. Anacortes intrigues me. So many interesting businesses. Want to come and visit the Marine Supply and Hardware Store at the north end of commercial street. I’ll call to alert you so we can again share a brew.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We made it into Great Bridge, Va at mile marker 12 on the ICW nearing the marina where we will haul for the summer to get some work done. A lot of loopers have been motoring through and large motor yachts all happy to give us a “slow pass “. The brown water of the ICW is a sharp contrast to the brilliant blue water of the Bahamas. We have some places to see in the lower Chesapeake before hauling but the biggest part of our adventure is behind us for this winter. Cheers to all that are out there.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.. The brown water of the ICW is a sharp contrast to the brilliant blue water of the Bahamas. .
Isn't that the truth. Once you have been there you are spoiled. Even the water in the Keys doesn't compare.

We are in the yard also waiting to get pulled out tomorrow. Hot and sticky here in Florida and can't wait to get home to Utah,

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
After waiting for a weather window, Motored for 15 hours.
we set out for Bahia Santa Inez, about 25 miles South, motoring.
No offense, but if you have a sailboat, when did weather windows become all about motoring? If I were waiting for a 'weather window' it would be the kind of weather for pleasant sailing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
No offense, but if you have a sailboat, when did weather windows become all about motoring? If I were waiting for a 'weather window' it would be the kind of weather for pleasant sailing.
No offense taken, but the Sea of Cortez can be a bitch, blowin' like snot for three days then dead calm for two while the remnants of the swells remain.
Mostly it's a friggin' washing machine.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I haven't done any overnighters yet but the week before last I had a great day sail out to the Key Bridge and back. The winds were blustery and I had one reef in the sail. It was a good shakedown for the season.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Isn't that the truth. Once you have been there you are spoiled. Even the water in the Keys doesn't compare.

Sumner
==============================================================================
And no where is there a match for the Gulf Stream blue.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
And no where is there a match for the Gulf Stream blue.
..... and the deep water in the Bahamas, where it is pretty similar in color. We always talk about....

... the shallow water in the Bahamas, like under the city dock at Black Point in the Exumas above, but forget to talk about the 5,000 foot depths over there also, like just a few miles off Nassau. That water is an incredible blue also like out on the Gulf Stream crossing,

Sumner
================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Oct 2, 2008
..... and the deep water in the Bahamas, where it is pretty similar in color. We always talk about....

... the shallow water in the Bahamas, like under the city dock at Black Point in the Exumas above, but forget to talk about the 5,000 foot depths over there also, like just a few miles off Nassau. That water is an incredible blue also like out on the Gulf Stream crossing,

Sumner
================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
I’m guessing those things aren’t too tasty because you see them everywhere in the Exuma’s.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I operated a sport fishing business in the Bahamas, sharks were completely ignored by the locals; they would not catch or eat them! I'm not sure why. Nor would they eat the spider crabs or Penn shells. We ate really well on unregulated seafood and left the lobsters for the tourists.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Another nice sail again today. Winds stayed steady about 10 for hours. It was really nice. I can't figure out why our plotter shoes Max speed of 7.2 knotts. Our actuals that I saw topped out at about 6.3 on a job and single reefed main. IMG_20190505_153649.jpg IMG_20190505_151819.jpg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast

Sumner
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Agree-next time you are in Black Point, tell Deshamon the guy who repaired her moms sewing machine says hello :)

When we crossed Tongue of the Ocean I told my ex-Don't drop anything overboard- I can't dive that deep :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I cruised across the Juan D Fuca Strait today. It was flat as glass. We had wind for about an hour the rest of the time it was the Iron Genny....

I just ate a delicious piece of chocolate Cherry cake with chocolate candy icing. Yummm.
It is the best type of adventure.

Oct 2, 2008
While traveling the ditch I asked another boat for a comparison of speed in the water vs speed over ground. We were both getting 7.2 kts. in the water but I had 6.5 kts. over ground. There wasn’t any visible signs of current but the effects were there based on distance traveled each hour. I have found several places along the ICW where the statute miles on the charts are slightly off. It’s like whenever two charts were joined someone just said “Close enough print what got”. Using GPS is so precise that it sees the discrepancy. My results were we got into Coinjock in time for the prime rib dinner at the restaurant so no complaints from my wife.