SANITATION HOSE

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Working on the Black Water Tank. I currently have the 1 1/2" black with green stripe sanitation hose. I see some folks use the more rigid white sanitation hose. What are the pros and cons of the white hose? Its supposed to be non permeable. What life span does it have? I have totally replaced the 5/8" vent hose. Any and all help would be helpful.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
I used Raritan Saniflex when I replaced the old green-striped one on Sequoyah last year. The reason was flexibility. Raritan's will do a smaller radius, something needed where mine comes through the bulkhead to bend and clamp onto the pump's base in the head.

It's done well. They warrant it for 5 years against stench leak through the hose's wall. So far, so good.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I currently have the 1 1/2" black with green stripe sanitation hose. I see some folks use the more rigid white sanitation hose. What are the pros and cons of the white hose?
Black with a green stripe sounds like Trident 101, which has been on the market for over 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure. So unless yours is approaching 10 years old-- the average working life of any hose--it may not be ready for replacement yet.
If the "more rigid" white hose also has a green stripe, it's Trident 102, which is actually 101 with a white "skin" (entirely for cosmetic reasons) on it. Both are as stiff as an ironing board, making it hard to work with in runs that have any bends. Really stiff white hose that doesn't have a green stripe is most likely Shields PolyX, which is no better, just outrageously overpriced.

My favorite hose these days is Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose --as odor permeation resistant as 101/102, but so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. List price is about $15/ft, but can be found for about $10.

Fwiw, the chapter in my book (see link in my signature) on replacing a toilets, tanks and hoses includes a lot of suggestions that can make the job a lot easier and cleaner.
--Peggie

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
My O'day 35 had a Vacuflush head installed by "professionals" for the PO. They used 1¼" spa hose for *all* the plumbing, and they left a bunch of dips in the lines - particularly on the run to the deck pump out fitting. Despite the dollars invested, the boat stank when I bought it.

Shortly after taking ownership, I re-plumbed the head using Trident 102 and I eliminated all the dips so that all of the hose naturally drains into the holding tank. Eliminating the dips required cutting new holes through the liner under the V-berth where the shoe storage shelves are. For the long run from the head itself to the V-berth where the vacuum pump and holding tank are located, I used rigid schedule 80 PVC pipe which lays flat against the hull.

If the boat is being left overnight I make sure that the holding tank is empty. I rinse the pump out fitting at least twice every time that I pump out.

I bought the boat 9 years ago, and it no longer smells like an outhouse.

Last edited: