Automatic bilge pump setup

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
We are going to be mooring our boat all summer (Mac26s), and want to set up an automatic bilge pump. Any suggestions? We were thinking of hooking up the discharge to the sink drain...
Thanks!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Is the purpose to take care of rain water or ??? Probably not enough rain water to make a difference. If you are looking to take care of a hole in the boat you probably need two with a 26S.

I installed one on our S and bought a second and never installed it on the other side and probably won't but should for a just in case something goes wrong while the boat is motoring or sailing.

The reason I believe you need two on a S is that you have the water ballast tank in the middle and it is higher than the bottom of the spaces under the cabin seats (see picture above where the water ballast tank is to the left in the picture). If you have one under one seat like I do above that is fine if the boat was holed on that side as that area is the low point and where the water would end up.

Now if my boat was holed on the other side water would go into the space under that seat and not make its way to the other side where the pump is due to the higher ballast tank in the center of the boat. That side would take on water and the boat would list more and more to that side raising the pump on the other side higher and higher.

One thing about a stock S is that you have no holes below the water line so the only water that could possibly come in is rain water coming in around leaking windows, chain plates or deck seal to hull seal. So no real need for a pump unless you felt the boat could be holed somehow while moored.

The other problem is how do you provide enough electricity to the pump if the boat was holed on the mooring?

I've gotten some rain water in both sides but not enough to ever turn the pump on. Just used a sponge.

More on my install here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-29.html

Sumner
==========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
What I understand is that even though the boat will be moored all summer it will be used and tended to periodically during that time. The main concern is power, how will you be recharging your batteries? As far as where to locate the discharge I would drill and install a dedicated discharge port above the water line; I do not trust discharge lines which connect to below the water line. Conduct frequent inspections on your hoses and clamps. If your boat does not have a bilge per se, I would consider an electronic automatic pump as they will kick on every couple of minutes and test for water resistance and if none found turn themselves off after 2 seconds. A pump with a float switch requires quite a bit of travel to kick on and that would translate to a lot of water. I would imagine you are considering the discharge of rain leaks. If you are thinking about safety and the boat is dry and has no leaks then do not bother as these pumps are not safety items. They merely provide convenience to remove incidental water.

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
Thank you for the advice and suggestions! It was going to be for mooring safety, but we will launch in a few weeks and check for leaks etc, if none, we will keep it simple and avoid a bilge pump (we do have a manual pump on board)