Obtaining Wave Period via SailDocs

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Is there a parameter that you can send to saildocs to obtain the wave period? I specify WAVES and WAVDIR, but this doesn't appear to return the wave period.

-- Geoff

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Another alternative might be Windy and Wind Finder. I've used both on our trip. With Windy there is a place to click to see height and period. Wind Finder is suppose to display it but I couldn't figure out how. I also used..

http://www.marvsweather.com/mbw/report_link1.html

... a lot and when all three were pretty much on the same page then things probably ended up close to what they predicted, otherwise there was some distance between predictions and reality,

Sumner
==================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Another alternative might be Windy and Wind Finder. I've used both on our trip. With Windy there is a place to click to see height and period. Wind Finder is suppose to display it but I couldn't figure out how. I also used..

http://www.marvsweather.com/mbw/report_link1.html

... a lot and when all three were pretty much on the same page then things probably ended up close to what they predicted, otherwise there was some distance between predictions and reality,

Sumner
==================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas
If he's asking about Saildocs I assume he will be offshore and getting GRIB files file via slow and expensive sat phone data. No place for browsing.

To the OP, I know that not all weather models (or services) have period data.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Is there a parameter that you can send to saildocs to obtain the wave period? I specify WAVES and WAVDIR, but this doesn't appear to return the wave period.

-- Geoff
Did you try PERPW or PERSW? Period primary wave; period secondary wave.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I find that a site dedicated to wave period is a great help.
Surfers, as a group, want this exact info.
They use a site called (laugh if you will...)
magicseaweed.com.
It has been quite useful to us for near-term info on inshore sea state for making deliveries up and down the Washington coast for many years.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you are headed out into the Gulf Stream, don't rely on any weather forecast system. The Stream does not follow any rules that I know of other than the peak flow is the hottest water.

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Did you try PERPW or PERSW? Period primary wave; period secondary wave.
This was the answer that I was looking for. I don't know if I get back the secondary wave data, as my program doesn't dispay it, but I do get back the primary wave period. Thank you!

P.S. This is for use via an IridiumGO satellite connection and in locations where there's no Internet, hence the reason for using SailDocs.