OK, SOMEONE KNOWS THE ANSWER

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have to remove the two mid rails to clean, lay butyl tape to seal and replace the mid rails. However obviously there are many, many flat head bolts on the outside and nuts with washers on the inside hidden by the teak rail. I'm interested in how others have managed to hold the nut and turn the flat head bolt. I don't have anyone to help me. Anyone with the magic answer?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@twodzusfittings If they are like most rails you need to examine the wood top in the area of a screw. You should see what resembles the wood rail but a little spot. It is a plug. You can remove the plug with a wire sheet rock screw.
Just a small starter hole then screw the screw into the wooden plug. When it hits the Bolt hidden in the rail the plug will back out of the hole. The plugs are sacrificed so you can save the rail.
Inside the hole you will likely find a Philips or a straight slot screw. Using a screw driver to hold the screw someone inside can use a ratchet to remove the nuts.

When finished you just put the rails back on the boat and hold the screw while your partner secures the nuts. Then push plugs into the holes and put a finish to help all the wood blend together.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Anyone with the magic answer?
A light weight, small crescent wrench and Gorilla tape. Maybe even a flat open end wrench. Put the wrench on the nut, hold it in place with Gorilla tape.
I've had good success using this method. In some cases I needed to use a wrench long enough so it turned up against the next nut to keep it from moving further. The tape then held it in place.
I also use a small Rigid impact driver to remove nuts. Lots of times there is enough friction on the bolt/machine screw the impact driver will spin the nut right off or on.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am working on rebedding my deck hardware and found my mid-ship cleats to be the challenge.

On my stanchion bases, they are mounted with 4 bolts. I bought extra vice grips so I have 4, and can clamp them all, go below and take the nuts off.

My cleats have Phillips screws instead of bolts. I put the vice grips on the nuts below deck, and used a driver with Phillips bit to unscrew the screws.

The problem with this method is that when reinstalling, the screw turns, with the butyl tape “cone” being disturbed. Ideally, I need someone to hold the screw from the top while I tighten the nuts from below.

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I have a small right angle ratchet that takes screwdriver bits. I put in a Phillips head screw bit, put it on the screw and tape it down. If I need a “stop” I use various types of clamps.
I installed two 4’ jib tracks by my self using this method.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’ve put a ratchet and socket with an extension down below pushed on to the nut by a pile of wood or books or whatever you can find..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I can get most nuts from below with sockets and a universal joint if it is on an angle. For the few that spin while backing the nut off, I resorted to asking my wife. Now a lot of care has to be taken while asking her because we have to first discuss our feelings, then have a staff meeting to discuss all the potential of problems erupting during the process. Then I have to identify the different screw drivers, oh look a butterfly, and whatever tools she may use. I’ve even numbered the screws so that there is little mistake in which order to loosen or tighten said screws.

Finally it’s just easier to hire someone else since I have been running low on screw drivers that fall in the water and I don’t know how busy my wife is. Good luck.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I can get most nuts from below with sockets and a universal joint if it is on an angle. For the few that spin while backing the nut off, I resorted to asking my wife. Now a lot of care has to be taken while asking her because we have to first discuss our feelings, then have a staff meeting to discuss all the potential of problems erupting during the process. Then I have to identify the different screw drivers, oh look a butterfly, and whatever tools she may use. I’ve even numbered the screws so that there is little mistake in which order to loosen or tighten said screws.

Finally it’s just easier to hire someone else since I have been running low on screw drivers that fall in the water and I don’t know how busy my wife is. Good luck.
With a little luck a new butterfly will appear just before she gets to her chapter in this post. Otherwise this may be your last post.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
,,, I resorted to asking my wife....we have to first discuss our feelings, then have a staff meeting to discuss all the potential of problems erupting during the process. Finally it’s just easier to hire someone else since I...don’t know how busy my wife is. QUOTE]

Oh, Tom... what HAS happened to you down in the islands???

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I reach for small vise grips, of which I have a few pairs, in that situation. Having a few visegrips on hand saves trips below deck. Mostly these are areas where the tools and nuts simply fall harmlessly but you may have to pad your interior.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Beer always works. :beer:
I don’t know if it works, but it does help to lubricate the conversation. Once a sailor has a beer in his hand and you say... Hey can you hold a screw driver while I tighten a nut... What sailor would say anything but ... SURE!

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Seriously... Make a friend. It's a win-win-win-win...
With just one helper get twice as much done in half the time while working half as hard, leaving more time to enjoy a beer with said friend while admiring your work

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Now a lot of care has to be taken while asking her because we have to first discuss our feelings, then have a staff meeting to discuss all the potential of problems erupting during the process.
Or get a boat without all the wood (with apologies to @TomY )

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
It's a very ingenious 4 bolt wrench. It keeps the four bolts from turning so you can tighten the nuts from below. Ingenious.