Tell us about your recent sailing adventure

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I haven't seen many sailing stories recently on these forums, so let's get with it.

We finaIMG_20190430_114736.jpg IMG_20190501_064201.jpg IMG_20190501_064201.jpg lly got out yesterday after 8 months of delays. It felt great. It's just a short (15 miles or so) overnight to Kingston WA. The weather is fantastic. We crossed one freighter wake that was higher than our boat and breaking. I was surprised we got no green water over the bow.

Ken

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It snowed here last Sunday. :(

And if you folks up on the Upper Great Lakes would kindly keep the water in your lakes in your lakes instead of sending it down here as a gift, we would all appreciate it. Lake Ontario is beginning to look like it did before the floods of 2017. Thank you for your cooperation. :pray:

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I got out for the first time in two weeks on 29 Apr. Only got one day in because of gales on Fri and Sat. Went straight to the second reef with the winds out of the south. Had the autopilot in wind-vane mode; as the wind started shifting to the west, we started moving south. Then the wind putzed out. I know it's gonna come up again - the wx guessers said so! It didn't, so I went to full main.

The wind wasn't really picking up, so headed back north. Suddenly, I have 15-16 knots apparent wind - boat's doing great. Now the wind shifts to NW, so I have to go to the northern green buoy to play the chess game of getting up the river with the fewest tacks. I make my tack to head up the river and all of a sudden, I have 23-25 kts apparent and full main - definitely not good. Go back to the second reef - much fun because of the flogging main. Turned out I didn't get the reefing line all the way to the boom, so that had to be fixed so I could heave in on the mainsheet. Back forward I go. Now I've got to tack away from Mr. Tripod to get a better angle to go up the river.

Racers out all with full mains - but crews of 4-5 folks. Wind drops again, so back to a full main - I knew I'd have to hoist to full main when I dropped the sail so as to flake it properly. Now I'm almost to the River's Edge conference center and it's time to tack back across to the fairway so as to head up the creek. Wind comes up again. Okay, let's go 50 off the wind, no make that 60. End of story is that I covered the jib with the full main, furled the jib, fired up the iron jenny and doused the main.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
At Marco Island (SW Florida) on the way back from the Bahamas. Leave in the morning going north and should be at the boatyard Saturday. They will take us out on Monday.

Left Feb. 15th and it has been a good trip with some excitement along the way. Had our anchor like cut in the middle of the night at Allans Cay and awoke at 5 a.m. to find ourselves grounded about 15 feet from a high rock wall. We got off with the help of some Bahamian fishermen who were anchored there and they even retrieved our anchor and chain. We really lucked out as we grounded on the the only little patch of sand for 100 feet either way. Never slept as well after that and I downloaded a better anchor alarm off the internet that I've been real happy with.

Other than that and being beat at times it has been a great trip and one we will remember the rest of our lives,

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Return trip today winds 5-9. We had a beam reach for 6 nautical miles then a run for the next 11. Sunshine the whole way. I think this is the way it's supposed to be. IMG_20190501_064243.jpg IMG_20190501_104559.jpg Also note the poor man's pole. At least I had a boathook. It worked fine in these light winds.

Ken

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The Admiral and I crewed for a friend and his wife this week, bringing home their "new" Cal 33 from Fort Meyers to Hudson, FL. It was a "big" boat to all of us ... as were the seas on the first day.

We found out the furling 150 was not reefable. We also found out the head baaaarely worked, and the stuffing box leaked a LOT ... as did almost all the hatches and portlights. My friend's wife got mega seasick. We had a soft grounding (with me at the helm) and a MOB (also me). Well, sort of a MOB. We pulled up to the dock at the end of it all, I jumped off with a dockline, and somehow ended up instantaneously in the water. Is it still considered a MOB if both feet hit the dock and THEN you find yourself in the drink??

Regardless, it definitely qualified as an adventure. :thumbup:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken. I’m in route to Roche Harbor, sharing mo love of sailing with the Admiral I admire. Her first visit to Anacortes. Had a great 6.5 hour Cruise up the Swinomish Channel. Doing 8 plus knots. Helps to have an assist from the tidal gods. Once past the Train bridge Althea wind kicked in and gave us and extra knot

Enjoyed a meal at Adrift. Met a nice couple from Port Townsend in their Pacific Seacraft 34.

Saw strange sight at the Rainbow Bridge.
331436C1-3319-436D-B156-2BF2BDBF1F6F.jpeg

Engine running smoothly putting out the water volume
57B849A6-EAC9-46D6-9E2A-E4FC0AC888A7.jpeg

Nice looking boat heading south07B5FF79-6FD9-4A65-BB55-4675BCFF3686.jpeg

And one just hanging around.
F8FE18A4-BCD7-4A2B-8D44-7A7137521651.jpeg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
A little adventure yesterday. Motored out of Montague and headed for Maple Bay. Had a good sail for a couple of hour then the wind died and the engine would not start. It had been awhile since I had changed the fuel filters so I did that then bled the fuel system. Still no go so we got a tow into Musgrave Landing to do a little trouble shooting. After much frustration the fella ahead of me said that once he had left the "kill switch " pulled so I decided to check mine. The fuel cut off is between the heat exchanger and the engine block, hard to see. Turned out that the return spring had jumped off. Easy fix but it sure was frustrating to find. All is good now. Up to Maple Bay!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Last week was our last charter of the season and the best weather we've had all season.
Leaving Tyrrel, it was one long, straight sail in SE 10 to 15 (for real!) to Clifton to clear into SVG, rather than the normal short tacking beat in 20 to 30 knots of Easterly or NE winds. Even the run from there to Chatham was fairly quick and with the nearly flat seas, extra pleasant.
From Chatham to the Tobago Cays the next day, it was again just a perfect day and we sailed under full main and genoa, something that happens so rarely, it is noteworthy. One tack and we sailed all the way into the anchorage, as usual.
From the Tobago Cays to Canouan is another short sail, but once again conditions were so wonderful Skipping Stone sailed like a train on rails. The last day Neptune decided we'd had enough of the perfect sailing conditions and we were back to a reefed genoa and very deeply reefed main. The 'washing machine' on the North end of Canouan was its usual nasty self, perhaps with seas not quite as large as in Christmas Winds, but very steep and less than a boat length apart.
Once out of that with the wind still out of the SE, we were able to make our Easting early and ease off with almost a beam wind to West Cay. Sadly we lost the South Easterly wind after rounding West Cay just a hundred yards off (so much nicer than 6 miles!) and had very flukey winds in the Bequia channel, varying from 13 knots out of the East to 27 knots out of slightly North of East.
It was good sailing if not sailing that required a lot more attention than usual, and we arrived in the anchorage in Admiralty Bay with around 5 miles sailed less than normal. All in all, I'd have to say absolutely perfect sailing trip for the last charter of the season. We're now back to being just another cruising boat, going where we please when we want. Where to go? hum....
Still, I can't wait for October and next season's interesting guests and challenging sailing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
After waiting for a weather window, we finally left San Carlos where we'd been a dock queen for the last two years, headed to Santa Rosalia, Baja California Sur. Motored for 15 hours.
Arrived and went right to sleep.

Looked into the engine compartment the next day and saw a layer of oil all over the pan.
Crap.

Cleaned it up and laid down a new diaper to look for the source.

A couple of days later we set out for Bahia Santa Inez, about 25 miles South, motoring. During the transit, the transmission gave out briefly, but then came back.
(Ominous music up)

Stayed at Punto Chivato, or Bahia Santa Inez, for a couple of days.
Time to head down into Bahia Conception. Fired up the Yanmar, and no forward gear was happening at all! Had reverse just fine, but no marche adelante whatsoever.

Buddy Virgil had the right idea: allow him to tow me back to Santa Rosalia.

6 hours later, safe at the docks.

Two days later, I've learned that new clutch plates cost $110.00 each.
I need 4, please.

All of San Diego couldn't muster up but two clutch plates, so the eastern US, state of Georgia, was imposed upon to sell me two at $110.00 each.

Had everything sent to San Diego where a shipper was employed to send my parts down the Baja peninsula. Took about 9 days in all, plus two to put it all back together and test the repair.

6 knots of forward speed later, I decided to head South to our original destination, Bahia Concepcion.
A couple of days in Punta Chivato, then a glorious sail South into Concepcion.
Almost two weeks later, back in San Carlos, the whole adventure taking about a month and a half!
Still recovering from the crossing and cleaning up more oil from under the motor.

More later!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Not recent, but after I suddenly found myself single, brought the boat from the Chesapeake to Texas single hand. Which included a 32 hour crossing of a part of the gulf of Mexico -100 miles out in GOM

towing.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ken. I’m in route to Roche Harbor, sharing mo love of sailing with the Admiral I admire. Her first visit to Anacortes. Had a great 6.5 hour Cruise up the Swinomish Channel. Doing 8 plus knots. Helps to have an assist from the tidal gods. Once past the Train bridge Althea wind kicked in and gave us and extra knot

Enjoyed a meal at Adrift. Met a nice couple from Port Townsend in their Pacific Seacraft 34.

Saw strange sight at the Rainbow Bridge.
View attachment 164302

Engine running smoothly putting out the water volume
View attachment 164301

Nice looking boat heading southView attachment 164300

And one just hanging around.
View attachment 164299
And you didn't even tell me you were coming to Anacortes!!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It wasn't sailing, but it was an adventure!

Back in March I scheduled for a bottom paint. The yard was 1.2 miles from my slip. My slip is on a military base so I had to go out and around to get to the yard. I didn't want to walk back to my slip so I towed my dinghy. Made the trip fine and back to the slip without incident. Calm water, no wind, you know the drill at 9a in the morning.

Three days later I get a call the boat is done. Pick it up at 2:30 in the afternoon. Oh boy... by myself... it is very windy then. But OK. Jump in the dinghy and do the 1.2 miles out and around to the yard. Little bit of a struggle as there are wavelets plus the wind is pushing me around a wee bit.

Get to the yard and pay my bill. They bring the boat down and drop it in the water. We move it and tie it off. Wind is picking up. More wavelets. I climb aboard, start the outboard and get my lines ready. The yard guys have already departed and were heading back to the yard with the crane. OK... in my mind I have to release the line and motor out. The wind is coming from my port side over the dock. I have little room to maneuver. Plus, I have a dinghy that I have to tow back.

I start to release the lines and sure enough off I go... sideways. I put the motor in gear and give it some gas and it quites. Didn't let it warm up enough. So now the boat is heading towards the harbor patrol boats. I just know I am going to crash. I am already too far from the dock to do anything and there is no one around.

I run like heck to the bow just in time to grab one of the pilings. Enough to stop the forward motion of the boat. I start yelling for anyone and one of the yard crew comes back and help put the boat back on the dock. I get the motor started and let it run for a few more minutes. The yard guy leaves. So, I am back where I started. But I can do this.

Now the trick is to back the boat out, but I know as soon as I let go of the lines I will start slipping sideways. OK... think, Brian. Think... Spring line! dang should have thought about that earlier.

I now have the bow and stern lines in my hand. The dinghy is on the lee of the boat and no chance of the painter getting fouled in the prop. I take a deep breath. Put the motor in reverse and both lines are fighting me. Give it a little more gas and I release the bow line and some tension on the stern line, but keep it in my hand. Boat starts to back up and bow is starting to turn because of the wind.

I hang on to the stern line for a few more seconds then wrap a cleat. The stern starts to pull to port and the bow swings away to starboard. I have just enough turn to back out gracefully. LOL

I release the stern line and the boat is moving away from danger. But I have lines in the water. So I pull them in while the boat is backing. Getting away from the dock gives me time to move forward for the bow line. I turn her a little more until I am pointed to the exit and away I go. Dinghy following like it should.

Trust me. Very nerve racking. And I know I was being watched. Because the dock was part of the yard, no one could come down and help, but I know I was being watched.

Trip back to the slip was uneventful. But trying to get in, with the wind head on, and towing the dinghy, now that is another adventure. LOL

Not sailing, but without a doubt, an adventure.