Leaking Fuel Pump

Apr 1, 2016
Catalina 22 14735 Lake St Clair, MI
I have the original 1988 Johnson 6hp, and noticed last fall that there was some fuel dripping from the fuel pump. Over the winter I bought a brand new pump, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the primer/choke plunger, as well as the fuel lines to and from the fuel pump. Went to start it up and test everything out this week and still having the problem.
When I prime the bulb, fuel seeps from the fuel pump body, and "slowly" continues to drip and the engine is running. I brought that pump back to the dealer, and they swapped it out for another one. Well, it is doing the exact same thing. 3 pumps, all leaking. Anyone ever seen this, or is a little drippage considered to be acceptable? I'm stumped.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Might be the hoses are cracked/swollen.. Change all the hoses under the cowl with new alcohol resistant hoses and see if that fixes it.. Should definitely NOT leak..

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Which part in the diagram specifically are you saying is leaking. The pump diaphram on top of the carb or the fuel bowl below? If you have replaced the top plate and pump diaphragm and it is still leaking from there check to make sure your surfaces are true. There may be a gouge from a screwdriver or something that someone used to clean an old gasket up that is not sealing properly.

Attachments