VC performance epoxy

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
ok here’s an update on my bottom refurb project. I’ve got it sanded with 80 grit smooth and clean. I’ve scrubbed the dust after the sanding so it clean and sanded.
Do I really need to clean it again with the 202 solvent wash? I ask because it says it is to remove separation waxes and grease ....I am putting this over original gel coat that I’ve prepped as noted. I will wash again right before I apply the epoxy....after it’s completely dry of course.
Thanks for any and all responses.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Did you use the wax and grease remover before sanding? I think you did from the way it was worded above. If so, good as you should use it first, so that you aren't sanding wax and/or grease into the surface as you sand.

Not sure what the instructions are for the complete system you are using but when I've done similar work either painting a vehicle or the boat I'd use a wash like that before sanding. Then sand. Then blow the surface down. Then wash again before putting on the first of the primer or top coat if not using a primer. In the case of a vehicle or the boats I've used an epoxy primer that has to be followed by a top coat within a certain time window to achieve a chemical bond between the primer and the top coat. You have a mechanical bond between the sanded surface and the primer, which is the reason it was sanded. The sand scratches give the primer something to bite into.

To use the washes correctly you need to put them on wet and wipe them off while still wet to remove the wax and/or grease off the surface. If they dry first put on more and wipe it right off with a dry towel. I use paper towels but you can buy towels made expressively for this.

Sorry if I missed what the question was as I'm not totally sure what it was :what:,

Sumner
===============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Thanks sumner, I didn't wait with Solvent first but it is an 89 MacGregor so I doubt if any wax is left . This VC performance epoxy is a single coating underwater epoxy. I'll put on as many coats as two gallons will allow.... Think I'll do a test patch and see how it reacts.