MacGregor 26C: main control lines and boon vang

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
Recently bought a 1995 "26C". The hardware was missing from the "main control lines set up", but had the "boon vang hardware and lines (I think)", or else I have them mixed up. Is the "main control lines set up" the same as the "boon vang"? Thanks

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Nope. Grab a couple of pictures of the way it is set up now, and post them. It's a lot easier to talk to that.

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
Picture below... Either I did not get the mail sail setup or the boon vang. Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
That pair are likely the vang. But then, it could be the main too. How much line is there? The vang would have been optional, so if you only have one, it’s the main sheet.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
The pic in post three is identical to the tackle for the main sheet on my 26D.

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
This same question has been bothering me as well. My 88 Mac 26D only has one set of blocks and I “assume’ it’s the main sheet. Can the boat sail without a boom Vang? There’s currently no attachment on the boom for a Vang.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
This same question has been bothering me as well. My 88 Mac 26D only has one set of blocks and I “assume’ it’s the main sheet. Can the boat sail without a boom Vang? There’s currently no attachment on the boom for a Vang.
Yes, I've never used one, but then again I'm a cruiser and not a racer. I did add a traveler for some of the benefits that it offers, but again you don't have to have one,

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Main set up, or boon vang?
That looks like the mainsheet tackle. I never liked the factory angle on the cleat so I replaced mine with an adjustable one.
BTW, it's "boom" not "boon" vang. If you want to add one you need a bail on the boom and mast base.

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
Thanks Sumner! I’m one of those crazy people that bought a rehab special with no sailing experience. We took ASA101 recently and actually passed after sailing in 15-17 knots steady wind. It was amazing.
So much to learn. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge. Launching in 2 weeks!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Yes, I've never used one, but then again I'm a cruiser and not a racer. I did add a traveler for some of the benefits that it offers, but again you don't have to have one,

Sumner
You don't need to be a racer to use a vang or a traveller. :rolleyes: They are for better sail trim and for better sailing. Do you need them? No, but you will sail better using them.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
You don't need to be a racer to use a vang or a traveller. :rolleyes: They are for better sail trim and for better sailing. Do you need them? No, but you will sail better using them.
Maybe I should of just said that I'm too lazy to use the ones we have on either boat ;). The Mac has a pop-top which I sail with down but still the boom vang and it interfere with each other to some degree. I agree with you completely that if one wants to get the most out of the boat, get a boom vang and use it.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-14.html
After making the traveler and installing, it is there and easy to use, so I use it all the time. The same with the Endeavour, use the traveler all the time.

My most enjoyable days on either boat is running for miles on a single tack with a light breeze at about 4 to 4 1/2 knots or even slower. No drama, I just find it very relaxing and those were the days I enjoyed the most on both boats in the Bahamas. Dottie did also. Now I still do enjoy some of the 6+ speeds but don't need to have them all the time. At 75 I've finally slowed down a bit :).

Sumner
================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I am do not race my boat, so am not a fanatic on sail trim. HOWEVER, I always rig the boom vang.
The secondary reason is it keeps the boom from riding up and developing to big a belly in the sail.
The primary reason for using a vang is to control the boom in choppy conditions. The first thing that statement will bring to your mind is high wind and wave action. I am not a large body of water sailor, but find the vang to very important on smaller bodies of water where you have a lot of power boats. Especially when some idiot come over at a high rate of speed to see the "pretty Sailboat."

Aug 1, 2011
The traveler is much more effective at controlling where the boom is and how much shape is in the sail, upwind. This is possibly more important in something like the Mac as being a water ballast, it’s quite tippy. I found that the sail shape improved immediately and overall performance was significantly improved. The closer you can keep the boom to the centreline of the boat, while keeping the boat upright, the better it will”go”

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
The mainsheet is significantly longer than the vang. I'm guessing at these figures but mainsheet has to extend 8 ft or so. Vang only has 2 to 3 ft between attachment points.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The mainsheet is significantly longer than the vang. I'm guessing at these figures but mainsheet has to extend 8 ft or so. Vang only has 2 to 3 ft between attachment points.
That would be a dead giveaway. Good call

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
A vang helps keep the sail shape all the way to the top. Good to get the wind up top that is not slowed down with the friction of the water even on slow days. It will also keep the boom from rising and getting caught up in the back stay.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
A vang helps keep the sail shape all the way to the top. Good to get the wind up top that is not slowed down with the friction of the water even on slow days. It will also keep the boom from rising and getting caught up in the back stay.
That happens to me all the time. It is a bitch to get out and pretty scary when it happens. I still roll my main to furl. When I decide to get reefs put in I will add a vang. I wish I had one now.