Nautical Quiz....This could be a problem...?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So I recently moved from Virginia to Alabama. I completed setting my boat up (almost) this past weekend and even got my SBO burgee flying (along with a few other flags). Somewhere in the move I lost my boat's U.S. flag and need to order a new one... and while I was at it, I thought I might order an Alabama State flag. I had to look up the Alabama State flag. Now I think it might be unwise for me to routinely fly this particular flag....

Here is the Alabama state flag....

For all of you Nautical flag buffs out there.... what is the problem with routinely flying this flag on your boat?

Jan 19, 2010
BTW: It would be an accurate statement if I did fly this flag...;)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Require Assistance might lead to all kinds of interesting situations. Why not give it a go and see who comes to your assistance? But then again, that could lead to more trouble than you bargained for!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm curious why the desire to fly a state flag? There is no protocol or custom for it

Jan 19, 2010
I'm curious why the desire to fly a state flag? There is no protocol or custom for it
I don't fly state flags from my stern but I do like to hoist a decorative string of flags at happy hour. I have one for each state I have sailed in. I have an Illinois, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, Wisconsin, Louisianan, Florida, North Carolina and Hawaii flag but I think I will forgo the Alabama flag. I still need to get a Dominican Republic flag. Just my own personal thing. I also have an SBO burgee and a "Happy Hour" flag that I fly sometimes.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I know you don't really need our "assistance" with this one, but if your interested in representing the great state of Alabama without getting unwanted "help", try out a common modification:

This is what Florida does.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
I know you don't really need our "assistance" with this one, but if your interested in representing the great state of Alabama without getting unwanted "help", try out a common modification:

This is what Florida does.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Right! Actually I have a Florida flag and I don't know why the irony didn't strike me then. But the Alabama flag is an exact match so it made me laugh. The real problem is that I will see the Alabama flag every day now and each time it will make me shake my head...

There is a bar at Purdue University named the Yacht Club that has this flag over the door...

upload_2019-4-29_18-31-1.jpeg

bahahahahaha

A perfect flag for a bar's exit door.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’m quite proud to fly our state flag. I fly it from the starboard spreader. (And when conditions are right I hoist it using my spinnaker halyard.) On the occasion this picture was taken my sister-in-law and brother-in-law from NY were sailing with us.
2142DCD7-E798-4BF3-AEA9-7F44E9AA4A4A.jpeg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
That would be the Republic of Texas.
OH yes. My oldest and youngest boys were both born in Florida. My daughter, however was (she''s in between) born in Texas. When she was younger she would taunt the boys-- "I was born in Texas and you weren't " She used appropriate noises to go with that- Little Sh*t :)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We often fly the state flag of Hawaii when we cruise the waters of New England, because we are residents of HI. I've been curious to see how many people notice the Union Jack in the field. One fellow with a British accent finally inquired about the flag, and I explained that when the Republic of Hawaii was created, it had been a British possession, and the new country
255px-Flag_of_Hawaii.svg.png
incorporated the Union Jack in it's flag.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is a bar at Purdue University named the Yacht Club that has this flag over the door...

bahahahahaha

A perfect flag for a bar's exit door.
I think I should just permanently attach that flag to my spreaders.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’m quite proud to fly our state flag. I fly it from the starboard spreader. (And when conditions are right I hoist it using my spinnaker halyard.) On the occasion this picture was taken my sister-in-law and brother-in-law from NY were sailing with us.
View attachment 164238
That’s very cool and very interesting!

Here is an honest question, is this a southern thing? I sail all over the country and never see this in northern states. I’m proud of Minnesota but it never occurred to me to fly the MN state flag while sailing. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one for sale. However unless I’m racing the stars and stripes is always up.

Last edited: