Do you have to have a valid ID when sailing in the USA

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What if our route takes us beyond the boundary of US Territorial waters—12 n.mi.? Would that make a difference when coming back within? What if boarded on the high seas adjacent to territorial waters?, etc.
The USCG can board any US Flag ship anywhere in the world.

If you sail beyond the territorial limits and do not land or anchor in another country or do not exchange goods with a foreign vessel outside the territorial limits (the rum runners provision), you do not have to clear customs upon return to the US.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The USCG can board any US Flag ship anywhere in the world.

If you sail beyond the territorial limits and do not land or anchor in another country or do not exchange goods with a foreign vessel outside the territorial limits (the rum runners provision), you do not have to clear customs upon return to the US.
But do you need a personal ID or suffer consequences is the question, if boarded in the situations described? MUST you have one? This is the core of the OP’s question.

Also, I think we’d be stunned to be boarded by the USCG in the Sea of Japan, for example.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
But do you need a personal ID or suffer consequences is the question, if boarded in the situations described? MUST you have one? This is the core of the OP’s question.

Also, I think we’d be stunned to be boarded by the USCG in the Sea of Japan, for example.
Asked and answered:

There is NO reg that you must have ID on you. No matter, With or without an ID, the coasties and the CBP people have WIDE latitude to detain you if something seems fishy. Same without. The more everything looks and seems ‘cool’, the better off you are.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Ok, thanks. My oversight.:cool: I’ll be sure to tell ‘em that the next time they come along side, or aboard, and ask to see one, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I doubt there is a standard list of questions. I should keep a record of what is asked. My three times of being boarded have occurred over an 18-yr period; so, things have evolved. The first, I remember, was in early January, 1999, while transiting my P-30 (with its hailing port of Miami, FL) under power from the shipyard where it had just been commissioned to its slip in Shoreline Marina. It was near sunset and we did not know our slip exactly. We were in Long Beach Harbor, the only boat in sight, toasting w/Champaign our return to the Golden State, our true home, when a CG planing vessel passes going the opposite direction, then turns around to catch and come along side to board us. I have no idea why. It was a little unnerving since we had the toasts out in plain sight, etc. I don’t recall all of the questions but do recall the one asking to see our COD which I did not have b/c I had taken it to the Marina Office to get the slip and then left it on my desk at work, neglecting to take with when we picked up the boat, etc. Talking our way out of that situation was very stressful. The Admiral did most of the talking:clap:! The guys finally said OK, we’ll see you the next time around; we’re out here all of the time.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The second time was also inside LB Harbor. By this time we had the Bavaria which means at least 5 years after the first time; thus, after 9/11, if not long after. It was near 1600 in late Spring, sailing downwind in a light breeze close to the beach. Again, we had just made up a couple of libations (G&T) when one of their inflatables came up behind us to board. Four of ‘em; very polite. Two came aboard, one steered the coasty boat while the other sat behind the machine gun:yikes:, more or less pointed forward but w/barrel positioned down. His hands were NOT on it. Here again, I don’t recall all of the questions from that one either, but they wanted to see the standard stuff, including required safety equipment. We kept sailing the whole time as they trailed behind us with the two officers aboard. I steered the boat sipping me libation while the Admiral showed ‘em all of the items below.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very professional KG. Captain has the con while the senior crew member provides a tour of the ship. They must have been impressed. They let you go.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The most recent one of early January, 2017, I recall a few more of the details. We were a mile or less off the coast of Ventura, about 1400, in drizzle w/low clouds; motoring, as there was nearly zero wind. We were approaching R2, two miles distant, to enter Ventura Harbor when a coasty vessel came out, sped by us going the opposite direction, then once again turned around to come along our starboard and ask to board us. I admit I was annoyed as it was wet, I had me foulies on, and it was obvious they were doing this b/c we were the only vessel out there, once again. Admiral was in the rack w/the flu as it had been a cold, rainy week where we had been to Cat Harbor, Redondo Beach, & MdR. So, tactfully I thought, I protested why this had to be done right now as we were going into harbor in a few minutes and they could meet us at our slip, or similar. Did not go over very well with a stern, but polite, response that they wanted come aboard right then. I called down to Admiral we were being boarded and I that needed her help (for her to get up) as I needed to remain at the helm. While we were waiting those few minutes one of them asked if I had any weapons aboard. However, this may not be a “standard question”, but one that came with the situation of our delaying them coming aboard.

After Admiral got up, two officers came aboard with one remaining on their vessel trailing us several meters off the starboard quarter. This one was the most thorough. They requested identification for me which we had, but Admiral gave them hers as well, plus made the standard request to see the documentation certificate. Also, wished to see all required CG safety equipment. They checked expiration dates on the extinguishers and flares. They also inspected the “settings” on our marine sanitation system. The whole thing took about 20 min, maybe slightly longer. It looked like a vessel safety inspection, but I had the distinct feeling that is not why they decided to board us.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Note that the US Passport card is a limited use travel document that is wallet sized. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Jan 11, 2014
Note that the US Passport card is a limited use travel document that is wallet sized. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.
Yes and between certain countries. It is valid for TSA airport security.

I have one because I live on the Canadian border and it is always in my wallet. This way I don't have to carry my passport when I sail or drive up there.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ok, thanks. My oversight.:cool: I’ll be sure to tell ‘em that the next time they come along side, or aboard, and ask to see one, etc.
Not sure what the snarkiness is for. There is no requirement. If there was:

1) it would be documented (it isn't)
2) they would ask for it all the time, like your DL (they don’t)

Like I noted, the agents have HUGE latitude and discretion as to handle any individual situation. But cited for simply not having ID, never.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
When asked by any law enforcement official you must identify yourself. If you don't, you are subject to being detained. Pretty simple...get some form of ID or risk the consequences.

Nov 8, 2010
When asked by any law enforcement official you must identify yourself. If you don't, you are subject to being detained. Pretty simple...get some form of ID or risk the consequences.
If probable cause exists for a crime. Unlike some other countries, the United States does not require you to carry identification.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I doubt there is a standard list of questions.
Last week when I was boarded by the CG they used a multicopy form detailing a long list of items for them to either fill in or check off. The very first thing they wanted to see, before boarding, was a photo ID. Left me a copy of the form and gave me a clean bill off health.

Whether their form is standard throughout the CG, do not know. I was just happy I had no violations where they could seize my boat. No interest in my alcohol and when they went below they only wanted to see that the oil spill decal was properly placed, that the waste tank valve was closed, CG certified PFDs, and current fire extinguishers.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
If probable cause exists for a crime. Unlike some other countries, the United States does not require you to carry identification.
Sure but when law enforcement’s probable cause conflicts with your definition of probable cause, your’s doesn’t matter at the moment. Carry your ID.

Nov 8, 2010
Sure but when law enforcement’s probable cause conflicts with your definition of probable cause, your’s doesn’t matter at the moment. Carry your ID.
I’m certainly not disagree with that. But now you're going down a rabbit hole. I’m simply answering the original poster’s very straightforward question.

Nov 8, 2010
You can do that by giving your name and address. It's when someone refuses to identify themselves that the trouble starts.
BINGO. That is the salient point.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am not telling you what to do; however, if I were in the same predicament, I would go on the trip and not worry about it. The chance of getting boarded is nill and if you do get boarded, you have your ID and your spouse has a valid excuse for not having his. I would be more concerned about driving an automobile without a license rather than a boat; that can get you into real trouble, especially if your are stopped for a driving infraction or accident. If you guys are that concerned about it, delay the trip and get into a DMV office first thing on Monday morning and get your new ID before departing on the cruise.