34/35 Anchor Hatch Rebuild

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
So Karma's anchor hatch has finally bit the big one and needs a rebuild or replacement. Seems that the hatch (at least on my '81 34) is a laminate consisting of fiberglass and foam. After dissection my hypothesis is that over the years water has gotten to the foam core (apparently not closed cell) through hinge screws and, over the years from freezing and thawing, cracked the underside of the cover which is the source for the cover's rigidity. End result is that the deck side now has a crack due to stepping on the cover during docking and anchoring.

Yes, I'm kicking myself in the butt for not addressing the issue before and having to deal with both a structural and now a cosmetic issue.

The process of dissection has rendered the deck side even worse for wear, so I'm going to rebuild the hatch and have given up on matching the non-skid pattern and simply use non-skid paint.
Has anyone been through this process?
Any ideas on a source for a replacement hatch?
I hesitate to reach out to D&R as I'm pretty sure the cost of a replacement hatch, even if available, to be out of the question.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Rudy at D&R has many of the molds for various parts of our boats. I asked him a couple of years ago about where to find a new companionway sliding hatch. He said that he had the mold and could have a new one made for me for about (if I recall correctly) $600.

My locker hatch had been rebuilt by a previous owner. They cleaned out all of the rotted core, and built a fiberglass U channel which was used to stiffen the cover, keeping the original gelcoat and non-skid. There is a crack in the gelcoat, but otherwise it is strong and stiff.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
For two years I have been trying to find a hurricane totaled 34 35. There must be one somewhere, if you find one the anchor hatch is yours....I get the propane lockers. :D

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Pictures?
I planned to take pictures of the dissection, however once I got into it, didn't stop to take progress pictures. I'll take and post some during the replacement/rebuild. Planning to use 1/4 " marine grade plywood and encase in several layers of 6 oz fiberglass. The build requires that I provide a 1" bend in the plywood to account for deck slope.

Also, thanks eherlihy and nj. I'll contact Rudy $600-ish for a replacement is doable, plus will also begin the hunt for donor vessels.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Boatworks Today has a pretty good video for making a mold and building a new hatch.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks rajh. I saw that video and may try that. Currently, I'm using 1/2" instead of the 1/4" plywood as originally posted. I've managed to get the appropriate bend by wetting the plywood and shaping with weights... found a use for some old battery cores :) Once I get the shape right and start glassing, I'll post more pictures.

20190528_101936.jpg