Drain filter clogged?

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
Sorry if this is a silly question, new mac owner here... Just wondering if this little foam plug can be taken out or replaced to help water drain? (pic taken at step on stern)

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is that the drain hole at the back of the cockpit floor? Hard to tell in the pic. Why would it have an easy to clog foam plug? Mine never had anything in the hole. Water had an unobstructed path out.

Jan 19, 2019
It's on the little step down at the back. There is a hole, and a foam like material in the hole....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The motor well? Still shouldn't be any foam in the drain. It needs to flow freely.
You need to zoom out some to get a reference.

Jan 19, 2019
Yes, motor well, we will try and pull out the foam and see if it starts draining. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Someone may have tried to filter debris so it wouldn't plug up the line. Instead, foam becomes part of the problem, not the solution. I split my cockpit drain hose from the motor well hose and added a new thru-hull out the back so they each had their own. I got rid of all the sharp bends and used smooth bore hose.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I tried the filter idea for both the cockpit and motor well drains, as Justin said & it becomes part of the problem. It slows drainage. Instead, each year, when I wash the boat, I force water from the hose through both drains to clean out any debris that has collected.