NOT racing.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks pretty awesome! @Jackdaw is this a new boat for you?
It’s an 2007 Beneteau 423. Really nicely equipped boat. Our friends Ed and Kim want us to join their 8-owner group. 4+ weeks a year based on a rotating pick schedule. I’m guessing we probably will.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I made that passage only once, July 1993, in an Oceanus 500 bare-boat charter out of St. Vincent—Barefoot Charters. We were hit by a squall, as I remember; but basically sailed through it.:yikes: Nice boat! Anchored at Prickly Bay while in Grenada.
It's the St George to Carriacou run that sucks. Going north, not south there, as most of the sailing in the Windwards is what separates the sailors from those who are out here on their plush mobile hotel suites with front and back porches that move from bay to bay, under power.

Nov 8, 2010
Did I miss something? I don't remember getting my invite!
View attachment 164019
LOL that funny And eagle eyed! Jodi and I are engaged. I gave her a kick-ass ring. But I wanted to feel and show I’m just as engaged. So I wear my grandpas old wedding ring as MY engagement ring. All in.

Wouldn't you?? She’s my Bond girl.

8E563A03-94B7-457B-B4BC-28D2D4F9A047.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Wouldn't you?? She’s my Bond girl.
Yes, I think I said "don't delay!"
Actually, Sue is training me to look for those kind of clues. We're going to Vietnam in August for my son's wedding to a Vietnamese girl. We were skyping with them last weekend and Sue was nudging me because Eric & Huyen were both wearing a wedding band. I was clueless until she finally made a comment about the rings. After disconnecting, it finally dawned on me and I said, "hey, do you think they're already married?". Honestly, we don't know the answer for sure, but maybe it's a thing now to wear the wedding band before the actual wedding.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Jackdaw,
I have a question about your NAV display. It appears your map is set for "north up" making your course of 59.3 to Carriacou look correct. However, the boat symbol appears somewhere around 030 degrees. Were you really carrying that much correction for drift, set and leeway or do I not understand the display?
Dennis

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Jackdaw,
Were you really carrying that much correction for drift, set and leeway or do I not understand the display?
Dennis
That's a good question … there appears to be an overlay that indicates the cross-current. It appears to say either 04 K or 0.4 K. With the overlays, it is difficult to see if there is a decimal point or not. I'd think that a 4 knot current would require a significant correction.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Ha! Did you notice the charted estimated currents? The west passage to Carriacou driving north this time of year can see ENE 35kt winds across a white-water ocean. There is a seamount in there that brings all the ebbing/flooding water of the Caribbean into a 300 ft deep Atlantic Ocean! It is an extremely dangerous piece of ocean, ask the Grenadians - they dread the crossing.

What’s it like? Open your washing machine during the wash cycle - that.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, 4 knots. And...it is piling up on a shallow bottom.

Jun 4, 2004
That's a good question … there appears to be an overlay that indicates the cross-current. It appears to say either 04 K or 0.4 K. With the overlays, it is difficult to see if there is a decimal point or not. I'd think that a 4 knot current would require a significant correction.
Scott, yeah 4 knots cross would probably explain it.

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw,
I have a question about your NAV display. It appears your map is set for "north up" making your course of 59.3 to Carriacou look correct. However, the boat symbol appears somewhere around 030 degrees. Were you really carrying that much correction for drift, set and leeway or do I not understand the display?
Dennis
We needed to tack to make it. ;-) The 59 is on the adjustable range/bearing ring, that’s our course to lay it. Our actual average course was probably closer to 40. We’re sailing a bit cracked off to keep the motion acceptable, and will need to tack. The display shows 0.4 knots of current, down from a max ebb that day of 1.6

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Well that’s certainly the obvious explanation. I don’t know why I assumed that a guy lucky enough to be sailing the Caribbean would also get lucky enough to sail his rhumb line, doh!
Dennis

Nov 8, 2010
Well that’s certainly the obvious explanation. I don’t know why I assumed that a guy lucky enough to be sailing the Caribbean would also get lucky enough to sail his rhumb line, doh!
Dennis
All rhumb line on the downhill run. Champagne sailing! At the Cays.