New (to us) boat starting to feel like ours

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Bought it last fall, no time to take it out for a sail even. Reminds me of the post on the main forum about whether you should buy a boat without the owner taking you out for a sail first. Well, that's never stopped us. We have sailed a 350 before and this one was someone's baby, so we did (though we did have it surveyed). All I really had time to do was winterize it and pack it up for winter. I also replaced the head last fall so I didn't have to do it this season.

Got a chance to uncover it and start working on it last weekend. First thing that had to go was the name. I did discover that the name (Perseverance) really was testament to the amount of time it would take me to remove it. At one point, I briefly thought I might just leave it Perse. Anyhow, new name on it, cleaned up and a coat of wax on for now. Renaming ceremony sometime in the future. A few more things to do before we launch. Hopefully sometime in early May.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My new to us 310 is going to be buffed and polished next week and remove the name! Hope it comes out as nice as your job.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife to remove my old lettering then cleaned it up with goof off. Got that suggestion here on the site. quick and ez

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thanks for the compliments, but that pic was taken before I waxed it. I did do a light buff with Presta Chroma over the name only to get rid of the ghosting of the name before I put the new one on, but what you see is last year's shine. It started well, so a cleaner wax was all that was needed.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife to remove my old lettering then cleaned it up with goof off. Got that suggestion here on the site. quick and ez
I've taken vinyl lettering off several times before (including vinyl sheet graphics on a service truck I owned) but nothing was as bad as the name on this boat. I started with a heat gun, but had issues with it being too hot, so I switched to a hair dryer with better results. Lots of issues with the vinyl breaking and not coming off in large pieces. Suspect it just may have been a poor grade of vinyl. I used acetone to take off any glue remaining. The name was big...over 4', so that was part of the issue too.