Advantages and Disadvantages of H23.5 water ballast for salt water bay

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
I have a slip on Sarasota Bay and don't land move a boat around. Right now I am not looking at leaving a boat on a trailer, but rather at a protected slip on the bay. There is a significant amount of marine growth in this area for hull maintenance.
1) I see that the 23.5 is easy to haul and launch and has a swing keel for shallow areas (+).
(2) Also it has an access ladder in the back for swimming (+)
(3) It is very large inside and spacious with all the windows (+)
(4) The rudder can be lifted out of the water completely minimizing barnacle growth (+)
(4) Not sure how easy it is for single handling and what mods need to be done (?)
(5) Not sure how much maintenance of the water ballast/keel system is necessary for an almost full time slip usage (?)

What are the positive and negative points for an H23.5 in my situation?

If the positives outweigh the negatives in my situation, what should I be looking for as worry spots on a H23.5?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I bought a 1995 H23.5 in 2002. It's on a fresh water lake in Canada, so I can't say anything about marine growth or salt water issues. In fresh water I've done nothing to the keel or water ballast in 17 years. I should add that my sailing season here in western Canada is only 4 months long...

(4) single handing

The first year I couldn't sail single handed, but for the second year I did a few things and have been single handing all these years. The first 4 items contribute the most to make single handing effortless for me.
  • had the jib modified and a furler installed
  • installed home-made lazy jacks
  • replaced the jib horn cleats with Spinlock Powercleats. I have the old model. The newer ones are improved I think, but they don't take quite as large diameter line, and I think the bolt spacing no longer matches the holes for the horn cleats. Too bad, because these are a huge factor in single handing (for me anyway). I can tack and adjust the jib sheets with one hand without standing up or letting go of the tiller. A flick of the wrist (like snapping a wet towel in a locker room) and I can open and close the cleat. You can just pull to harden as you can with a clutch.
  • added a Tiller Tamer (there are several brands available)
  • with the jib halyard no longer used (I hang it on the mast), I flipped the boom vang end-to-end, added a block at the mast base, and ran the line through the sheave at the mast base and through the deck organizer to the clutch. I can now use the vang very easily from the cockpit.
  • I put a block at the mast base and run the outhaul to it, which then runs over the companionway slider and dangles down in to the cockpit. Not tidy, but it works from the cockpit.
  • the boat came with an old Autohelm auto pilot. My lake is only 7 miles long by 1 mile wide, so I don't really need it. Mostly, I use it when motoring back to the marina so I can take the main down and put the sail cover on before I get to the dock.
I only have to go to the mast to reef the main, which I do when hove to.

I have an old dock line with a snap shackle at one end that I sometimes attach to a short loop of thick rope between the shroud U-bolts. If the wind is going to blow me off the dock when I return to the marina, I step off quickly with this line in my hand and wrap it around a dock cleat at midships and snug the boat in tight so she doesn't blow away.

What year is this H23.5? In 1996 they added a 3rd rung to the swim ladder and made the pushpit higher to match. The extra step on the ladder would make it easier for some (large) people to climb up. The open transom is great for swimming.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Honestly, while I love my 23.5, every boat is a compromise. In the case of the 23.5, the water ballast is great for trailering but it's not as effective as a weighted keel hanging low in the water so it makes the boat tender. If I weren't going to trailer often then I'd get a heavier boat with a more conventional ballast. If you abandon the trailer all together, you can get allot more boat for your money.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Had a 23.5 for the last 12 years. Only single handed it. Since I only day sail (on the Hudson River if my handle didn't tell you) and therefore didn't need the boats best feature, a very large cabin. The boat is a bit of a slug and doesn't have much in the way of sail controls. It overpowers quickly and turns into the wind violently. This boat needs to be reefed before you think about it. Only trailered it twice, use the trailer to store it over the winter. The water ballast and swing keel have been no problem. Work when they need to flawlessly. No maintenance issues but probably need to replace lift line after 24 years use.
Replaced the Hunter with a Capri 22. Not in the water yet but with a wing keel, should be more stable and less tippy. This boat has good sail controls so flattening the sails should be easier than the Hunter and thus (I hope) less likely to do the wild ride into the wind in marginally high winds.
The Hunter sits in my yard as I contemplate selling it to someone that appreciates the room and knows when to reef in a timely manner. It has been a tough little boat weathering being tossed onto the dock in a near tornado and my learning to dock this high windage low weight boat in windy conditions.
Looking forward to the Capri being a bit faster and controllable. Must remember to reef. Must remember to reef!

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Hi tdboss,
There are a half dozen water ballasted boats in my marina. The water ballast is maintenance free. A good coat of bottom paint on the hull is a necessity. Make sure your water ballast valve is closed to prevent things from swimming and growing in your ballast tank. A gallon of bleach poured into your vent hole will prevent any funky smells.

A tiller tamer is a necessity for single handing. Once you can let go of the tiller, the rest is easy.
A jib furler or jib downhaul would be good to have as well.

Altogether they are well-made boats, no balsa or plywood to worry about rot. Solid glass hull is thick enough to be strong but thin enough to flex when a winter storm smashes it against the dock (ask me how I know).

-Z

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If leaving the boat in the water, add chorox to the ballast tank.. I would suggest that you do not heel over 12-14 degrees with the use of sail control. Remember Hunter made the mainsail larger than standard as they felt the power should be in the main which was accomplished due to the B & R rig with no back stay.

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
Thanks very much for the "multi view" advice. That is what makes this forum outstanding.