Modification in the cockpit

Jul 17, 2011
Beneteau oceans 321 Saint John
This is an off the wall idea.Has any one ever installed (as an example) a 2000 W Honda generator in the cockpit locker of a Beneteau 321.would be installed in a insulated,fire retardant ,ventilated compartment
No particular reason for this,just came up in a discussion

Nov 11, 2018
Beneteau 45F5 6 Melbourne, Victoria
I have been thinking of doing this myself on my First 45f5. I have a Honda i10 in the lazarette that I put out on the rear landing when in use. It would be easier if I could just leave it in the locker with appropriate exhaust and cooling vents.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Since you're talking about a gasoline engine, you probably also want to install a blower fan in the compartment, and be sure to run it before starting up the generator.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just a thought. Would your insurance contract have a problem with this? Could they refuse to pay if it caused a fire?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This is an off the wall idea.Has any one ever installed (as an example) a 2000 W Honda generator in the cockpit locker of a Beneteau 321.would be installed in a insulated,fire retardant ,ventilated compartment...
Would also have to be no way for fumes to escape into the living area.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
ould your insurance contract have a problem with this? Could they refuse to pay if it caused a fire?
The could refuse to pay. They can always refuse to pay.

The owner may need to list this addition to the boat. If he completes the project in a workman like manner following all applicable regulations he should be able to prove the the modification is within the policy risks and once "not eliminated or voided as a risk" by the company you should be good.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I'd be concerned about the CO. If the locker is completely, absolutely and positively isolated from the cabin and there is proper ventilation and a CO detector, I'd consider it. For me, I'll put mine on the swim platform AND use a CO detector. There's rarely a second chance with CO

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Tim,
Got to agree with your recommendation. Swim platform with a CO detector is probably the safest manner in which to use the generator. With the potential for explosion and exhaust gas entering the cabin, it’s too risky to attempt to use the generator in a locker.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We learned the lesson on @LeslieTroyer ’s boat. It was cold. Snow blowing worst storm in Canada Gulf Islands in 60 years.

3AM the CO alarm begins shouting. In his PJ’s Les goes out in the snow to the generator and shuts it down. Alarm still screaming “Your all going to die. “

Open the cabin ports and as the temp drops inside into the 20’s the alarm finally quiets down.

I was a believer after that experience. I’ve added a couple of CO alarms to my boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
We learned the lesson on @LeslieTroyer ’s boat. It was cold. Snow blowing worst storm in Canada Gulf Islands in 60 years.

3AM the CO alarm begins shouting. In his PJ’s Les goes out in the snow to the generator and shuts it down. Alarm still screaming “Your all going to die. “

Open the cabin ports and as the temp drops inside into the 20’s the alarm finally quiets down.

I was a believer after that experience. I’ve added a couple of CO alarms to my boat.
1) at least I wasn’t sleeping au-natural
2) it warmed up
3) I woke you up @4 with “are you dead?”

We had so much fun.