Vision 32 Mast Removal

Rover

Jun 17, 2010
Hunter Vision 32 Penetanquishene
I need to remove the mast of my Vision 32 for transportation and having never attempted this before I am hoping that those forum members who have carried out this procedure may be willing to offer some advice?
In particular I have the following concerns:
1) At what point on the mast is it actually lifted from? The only available point seems to be the two cleats mounted just above boom height but if this is so is the mast suitably balanced or does it require support at a higher location? ie. where is the mast centre of gravity?
2) Other than removing the boom, forestay and cabling below deck what other prep work is required? The owners manual does not have a lot of information other than the bolt securing the mast to the step plate and loosening of the deck fitting. Can these various fittings be loosened before actually attaching a crane to the mast?
Any help and guidance from fellow members would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
You have to lift from the spreaders, upper set of there's more than one . If you lift from the cleats it will flop over and probably kill someone. You'll need a crane or dock mounted gin pole to do this. Best to let the yard crew handle the job at least the first time till you see how it's done.
My wife and I lower and raise the single spreader rig on our 36 footer most every year using the marinas gin pole. Not too difficult but I learned how from an experienced yard crew. Multi spreader rigs and keel stepped masts are more difficult. Many yards bring in a mobile crane for this job.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: With what @Capt jgw said. Good info to keep you safe, your boat from being damaged and you healthy.

Rover

Jun 17, 2010
Hunter Vision 32 Penetanquishene
Thanks for the safety tips but the Hunter Vision has a self supporting rig. No spreaders just a long tapered length of aluminum. The only apparent place to apply a lifting force is via a set of cleats mounted about 5 feet above the deck so this question is to those Hunter Vision owners who have stepped the mast. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Even more reason to let the pros do it. I suppose you could loosley tie a line around the mast and slide it up with the crane and a tail secured to the lower cleats. That would put the lifting point above the mast's center of gravity. It's it's lifted from too low it will flop over. Maybe attach the crane to a halyard then pull the halyard all the way up and lift from there. Anyway you're still going to need a crane and someone who knows what they're doing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What @Capt jgw is trying to say is the mast is weak unless it is hung. You would wrap the pole several times with half hitches 2/3rds up the mast so that the mast remains in column and is hung from the suspension point. This way the weight of the mast in along the length of the mast and not suspended from s single point.

The professionals will know the technique.

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
Mike 58 up in Canada has a Hunter Vision 32 and we talked about mast removal awhile back. He said he does his by himself every year with a crane at his club. You should private message him to find out more details. I do not have his email address. If you use the members tab on this website you will be able to search for Mike 58 and send him a message.