Diesel pickup tube depth in tanks

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
Just wondering where you mounted the genset, and what make?
I was looking to install a FP 4kw in my 40.5, but ended up with the 49 which had one installed
Starboard lazarette. Westerbeke 5.0BCD; it was the smallest and lightest 5KW I could find. But no sound enclosure- just no room. So I lined the lazarette with a lead-foam sandwich. Big improvement, but not like a sound enclosure.
Gen_1.JPG

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Starboard lazarette. Westerbeke 5.0BCD; it was the smallest and lightest 5KW I could find. But no sound enclosure- just no room. So I lined the lazarette with a lead-foam sandwich. Big improvement, but not like a sound enclosure.
View attachment 163959
I installed a Nextgen 5.5kw in the stbd lazarette on my 40.5. I had to lower the platform about 1 1/2 inches to get the room I wanted with the hatch shut. Like Rich, no room for a sound enclosure so I lined the lazarette with sound proofing. Not "quiet" but not really bad easiere. Surprisingly quiet when off the boat but without the Air Conditioner on the hook here in SC summer nights are nearly unbearable. I also installed a squirrel cage fan to keep the compartment cool when running. I had to move the batteries to the Port lazarette. I figured I more likely have to get to the fuel tank on the port side rather than the water tank on the stbd side. I'm very happy with the unit and pleased with the installation but it was a very tight fit.