Our 2003 C310!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John,
Yep, as others have said. Since your AP works so probably the PO had a new ST4000 installed at some point but didn't bother/need to replace the flux gate.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Next quetion, previous owner sweared by having a constant drip at stuffing box, even at rest. It seems to fill up a small container of water over a week. I thought the adjustment is 2-3 dripps while running not slinging water while running.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Next quetion, previous owner sweared by having a constant drip at stuffing box, even at rest. It seems to fill up a small co tainer of water over a week. I thought the adjustment is 2-3 dripps while running not sli ging water while running.
You are correct, JRT. The stuffing box should not be slinging water while running, and should not drip at all at rest. You could try adjusting the gland nut a little at a time. Run the boat in gear for a few minutes after each adjustment. If the "stuffing" is in good shape, eventually you will see the slinging slow down to a few drops a minute. Then check while at rest. It might take another try or two to get the drips to stop. Don't over tighten the gland, though. If tightening the gland didn't slow down the leak initially, the packing is probably old and dried out. If so, you should remove the old packing and put in new stuff. I like the teflon impregnated packing. I find that a packing removal tool works well on our stuffing boxes.
The procedure for this should be detailed in your Catalina manual, and there are numerous threads on this subject on this forum. This is an important system for an owner to understand, and it is well worth the time and effort for any of us to do this job at least once.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: What TomJ said.

In addition to the Catalina manual you'll find "stuffing Box" threads a plenty here on SBO.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Tom J it is a lean seat from Cabela on a short post. Works very well and really is a nice upgrade the previous owner did.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
@Tom J it is a lean seat from Cabela on a short post. Works very well and really is a nice upgrade the previous owner did.
My wife is after me to do the same. I can sit or stand and see easily over or through the dodger, but she's at exactly the wrong height.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thoughts and Impressions on our move up from an O'Day 25.

No one in there right mind would still be thinking of their 1976 O'day 25 after being able to move up to a C310, but I do. We have had some great times so far in the short time we have owned the C310 and it is the right move for us, but with the low wind yesterday and barely able to make head way, I couldn't help think "I know I could have our old O'Day moving better then this!" At the end of the day with happy faces, my son really liked opening up the throttle a running wide open for awhile, my wife and daughter sun bathed on the bow after we rolled up the sails, I sat back in the stern seat and just watched and relaxed!

She is a keeper, but you can still think fondly about your first sailboat...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No Hiking stick (that is what the AP is for) but I love the new seats on my stern pulpit.
New SternSeat.JPG

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Thoughts and Impressions on our move up from an O'Day 25.

No one in there right mind would still be thinking of their 1976 O'day 25 after being able to move up to a C310, but I do. We have had some great times so far in the short time we have owned the C310 and it is the right move for us, but with the low wind yesterday and barely able to make head way, I couldn't help think "I know I could have our old O'Day moving better then this!" At the end of the day with happy faces, my son really liked opening up the throttle a running wide open for awhile, my wife and daughter sun bathed on the bow after we rolled up the sails, I sat back in the stern seat and just watched and relaxed!

She is a keeper, but you can still think fondly about your first sailboat...
I understand John. There were times last season when I missed the sportiness of the 25 but there were many more times that I enjoyed stability and comfort of the C30. When the wind picked up where the 25 would be a bit of work, the C30 settled in well and was just as much fun to sail.

Nice photo of your son at the helm. Neat how there is enough room for everyone to do their thing on the boat.

Very nice!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I enjoy the hiking stick Cathy bought me half way through last season. Sometimes I just like to stretch out but still maintain the helm.

@jssailem Those seats came out good.