FYI - Quick Splice Connectors

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh.... hold not thy tongue @Capt jgw, share thy wisdom. We have not been blessed with thoughts from Muskegon. We could all learn something. :poke:

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Not an atypical find with this type of splice..

So what, in your view, is the best technique for this sort of splice? A terminal strip seems the most solid, but that also does not seem entirely practical in a many situations. Those three-way connectors with the rivet in the middle? A step-down butt connector? Other?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it probably saved some expense at the end of the day. :)
Yes but it missed some great bourbon, scotch and the beer that Les brought to share. The stay in Vancouver was sunshine and mild temps by your standards.
VancouverBC Feb2019.JPG

The Canadian weather tried to stop us from having fun in the Gulf Islands. I am guessing the weather spirits felt they had given us a pretty Vancouver, they needed to challenge us in the Gulf Islands. I only hope they found us worthy of the test.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Was that tinned copper or aluminum wire MS?
Bare copper, not tinned.. These connectors corrode pretty rapidly then fail to make good contact and thus high resistance & heat. They are also notorious for damaging/breaking wire strands when "pinched down".

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^^ But no ABYC or other restrictions? I've had only bad experiences.

The high frequency of broken wires has always bothered me.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
The trick with crimp connectors and broken wires is always think ahead and put about 6 inches of slack in the end of each wire and be generous with curves when going around corners. Gives you slack to cut off bad ends and re crimp connect and curves generosity keeps from kinking the braided wire inside the insulation. Nice tightly clinched wiring bundles look sporty but strain the material. Just a thought from someone who has been wiring in boats since 1968.