Seeking opinions on living and sailing around Clearwater

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Try "cutting the corner" at Mullet Key into the Egmont Channel coming from Clearwater. It's mostly 3 to 5 ft along the channel's edge except for a very narrow spot near the key that is 7 ft. With a 4-ft draft you'd have more room (e.g., for imprecise navigation) to go over. With 5 ft your slot narrows. With 10 ft you're not going through there at all. Some folks don't care about a short cut and would go around (i.e., to the end of the channel), etc. I've gone through that cut maybe 2 or 3 times in the Pearson; sphincter tight!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have been living in Port Charlotte since 2008 and yes haverun aground the first few years a few times with my 5’ draft for sure.
But I can go most any place and watching the tides is the reason
I stay out of trouble and just returned from a 3 week cruise from
Punta Gorda to Tarpon Springs and stopped at Caladise state park
and Mandalay Channel and St Pete and not many places I could not get into.
Sure 4’ is better but I do cruise with many other sailboats that draw 5’ and 5’ 2” and 5’4” and we are just careful and watch the tides.
Nick

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Parsons, looks like I've done the same thing as you appear to have done. I've searched for images of marinas to first, find sailboats, and second to see what kind. My 28 mkII draws only 3'8", but she's starting to shrink on my family, and I don't expect I'd be moving her. Since there is so much shallow water, it seemed logical to expect to see more catamarans. Of the marinas I scanned, I didn't see one - not even a narrow-beam Gemini (wonder why?). Are you considering moving to the Clearwater area, too?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Since there is so much shallow water, it seemed logical to expect to see more catamarans.
You'll see more catamarans behind private residences. They generally take up two slips so the cost is usually double unless they are on the "T" and then the marinas still get cha'. Also, when cruising, it can sometimes be hard to find a transient slip. Plus, they can cost a lot more.