FYI - Quick Splice Connectors

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sharing this for those newer owners of Catalinas who need to trace down electrical issues.
My bow light went out this summer. I finally traced the issue to a quick splice connector that wasn't set completely. It appears, at least in 93, that Catalina used quite a few of these to splice wires together. I've noticed that several are not fully set and closed.
In the case of my bow light, Catalina used a splice connector to connect the negative wire into the same negative wire being used for cabin lighting.
The connector was wrapped in white tape. When I took the tape off it looked like the connector had never been fully set and closed. Setting it fixed the bow light problem.

Now as I come across them, if they are not fully set I will set them and close them to reduce future problems.

Here is a link to the connector I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXILXKX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_M3rTCb5Q5MRSA

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Nope not what catalina ever used in boat, this was a later owner using a auto add on connector. the actual connectors used by catalina looked like this. Actually 3 way crimp connector and still available in supply stores. Clue is rest of wires are glassed in except where the connectors are.
DSC00043.JPG

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ward those connectors will be trouble in a year or so. Your much better off with a 3 way crimp or a small terminal block.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Catalina apparently did use Scorchlocks for a period of time. We have seen and removed them on a number of Catalina’s. In every case they were a source of high resistance. They really have no place being installed on a boat. I have also seen them come very close to starting a fire...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Catalina apparently did use Scorchlocks for a period of time. We have seen and removed them on a number of Catalina’s. In every case they were a source of high resistance. They really have no place being installed on a boat. I have also seen them come very close to starting a fire...
That said (and I agree--I've seen lots of high resistance connections and snapped wires)... they do not technically fail to meet any standard?

Personally I hate them. I used a few when I was a teenager, 40 years ago, and not since. I recognized them as bad then!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Nope not what catalina ever used in boat
The first one I saw was behind the Main DC panel and I was sure a PO had used it to tap into a power source.
Then I found that all the cabin lights were tied into the cabin light pos/neg wire run with the connectors, definitely by Catalina.

I won't be adding them myself, I use 2-1 butt connectors or terminal blocks.
I thought I had read a comment by @Maine Sail where he said the 3 way connectors frequently had high resistance at the center rivet. If I'm wrong and they are a good connector to use I may start using them.

I did notice about a .3v voltage drop at the bow light, which I thought was not too bad, but over 1v voltage drop in the cabin light circuit in the v berth.

Looks like I have another project to add to my list.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
What is with those scotchlocks on a boat? Those are for teenagers to hook up an automotive stereo upgrade and for previous boat owners who grew up as one of those teenagers. It’s also for lazy people that know no better. I’m not too crazy about those three way connectors either.

When I looked into my electric panel, splice for the VHF and hardwired stereo, I removed them all and:
1) got rid of the hard wire stereo and antiquated VHF.
2) bought a handheld VHF for the cockpit, and
3) replaced with total wireless stereo.

As for any other needed scotch lock, I replaced with step down, heat shrink, butt connectors like these. Much easier to route and seal as a straight reduction. Best of luck @Ward H with the refurb!

35964DC2-2F5C-459F-B073-2411220BADC4.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward. With all the great work you are doing on your boat, it is only a matter of time till you have them all replaced. Take one of the "I just need to get away" days and a fist full of good connectors and a couple of 6 packs. Head to the boat. Start in on the wire connector/ectomy. and reward yourself with a beer for every 4 you fix. You don't have to drink them all at once.

Besides just keep count and the Canadian Prairie Sailor @Meriachee will have you in beer for a month. It will be Canadian Beer, but I hear that you can get a 2for1 exchange back here in the states.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
With all the great work you are doing on your boat, it is only a matter of time till you have them all replaced. Take one of the "I just need to get away" days and a fist full of good connectors and a couple of 6 packs. Head to the boat.
I highly assemble that remark! Labatt’s Blue please!

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
I can absolutely refute the previous comment about catalina using these connectors and backup mainesails comment that they did. I had a 96 C250 and now an 89 C34 and both were littered with those connectors and non-tinned wire. i've had to rewire both boats to get reliable connections and voltage from the batteries to the devices.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Ward I will buy you a beer for every one of those you add to the landfill. :)
At the Sylvia Lounge?

Ward. With all the great work you are doing on your boat, it is only a matter of time till you have them all replaced. Take one of the "I just need to get away" days and a fist full of good connectors and a couple of 6 packs. Head to the boat. Start in on the wire connector/ectomy. and reward yourself with a beer for every 4 you fix. You don't have to drink them all at once.
Sounds like a good plan.
First thing I’ll do is run a dedicated negative wire to the bow light instead of sharing with the cabin lights wiring.
Think I’ll stick with the step down connectors and terminal strips.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
When I saw the first post I was going to jump in and give my opinion, but I see everyone else said the same thing I was going to, so I won't.