Anchor locker lament

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sail Magazine just did an article on anchor lockers. I like the idea of laying a layer of that plastic grid-work to encourage air circulation.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sail Magazine just did an article on anchor lockers. I like the idea of laying a layer of that plastic grid-work to encourage air circulation.
Its great stuff..... I have it in all my lockers and even inside the boat. Good to let everything breath!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the idea of laying a layer of that plastic grid-work to encourage air circulation.
When @LeslieTroyer and I were working on my Windlass install I was faced with the shaped hull sliding everything to the bottom and clogging the weep hole designed to carry water back to the bilge. So we built a floor of "IronWood" that Les had in his shop. We guessed on the design then fitted the slotted floor into the space, carving it up until it sat favorably at the bottom of the locker. Now I have 300 ft of rode and 110 feet of chain sitting on this fashioned deck keeping it out of the very bottom of the anchor locker.

It is a good idea for you to consider Justin.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm eternally grateful that the "new design" Catalina 22 has an anchor locker, even with a couple faults.

First, it had the same problem @LeslieTroyer mentioned ... in this case a vinyl drain tube from the locker to the prow, leak-o-matic, big time. I closed off this drain completely and installed through-hulls and rubber hose for a proper drain out one side of the hull.

No cleat. Installed one with a large backing plate on the aft side.

Huge PITA to install a quality roller, but I did it anyway:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our P42 anchoring system is 1991 original. Maxwell horizontal windlass with foot switch; power up, manual drop. Rode well works okay. Enough room for both spare and main rode, albeit a bit crowded. I always pay the rode by hand in both directions, otherwise, the power up chain will pile up beneath the gypsy and jam the windlass. It has worked well anchoring hundreds of times over the years. Could it be better, perhaps, but I'm happy with what I have.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My 2007 H-36 is great has cleat and also a stainless tie for end of line and windlass works great and 2 drain holes and a bungee to hold door open and plenty of room.
I do need to help chain slide down or the chain will jam up but just need to help on the out
and no danger for fingers and every so often I do empty chain out and clean and flush anything
collecting in bottom.
We do a lot of anchoring when cruising and it works great and we also use head earmuff to talk
to my wife at helm and added a remote and anchor wash so everything is pretty good.
Nick

May 19, 2016
O'Day 32 Long Island
I had to spend $ 11.95, but it included shipping.... LOL THX for the tip. I will let you know how it works out.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I actually like my anchor locker. It has plenty of room for extra stuff and has a molded in holder for my anchor. As long as its a Danforth type.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I’m with Steve. The size and shape on the 270 is just about right.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The anchor locker on my PDQ was deep and probably big enough to sleep in. Really.

The anchor locker on my F-24 only takes anchors that fold. There is 250 feet of rode in there. I'm catually using a folding Northill right now.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Our Endeavour has two lockers, the one above and another below it ahead of the V-berth. Love the one above as it is easy to drop the line and chain into retrieving the anchor and likewise setting it. Both of our boats have two anchor rollers on the bow to house the anchor and I'd hate to live without those, although I did for a short while with the Mac until I made rollers for it.

We have hardly ever used the second anchor on the Endeavour. Its rode is stored in the bottom anchor locker and when we have used it I have to sometimes go down to the V-berth and open the door to it and move the line and chain around some as it piles up at the bottom of the hawse pipe. Not a huge problem as that is a backup anchor and rode.

I made a platform for the manual windlass and made it so that the windlass can rotate side to side to work with either anchor and its rode...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-outside-mods/outside-index.html

We've never stayed in a marine and anchor all the time so I want to make sure anchoring is simple and efficient. One thing I would do different if going back to the Bahamas or just cruising is possibly going to at least 75 feet of chain as we have 30 feet of chain now and the rest is line. We woke up at 5 in the morning in the Bahamas at Allans Cay to find out that our anchor line had been cut and we were grounded in some sand just feet away from a rock wall. It is amazing how many people will run very close to your bow,

Sumner
=============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas