Catalina 14.2 vs. flying Scot

cstrub

Apr 9, 2019
Catalina prospect 14.2 Lake Superior
Hello. I'm brand new to the forum. I've been sailing a Laser on an inland lake and am looking for something slightly larger so my family can join me and have a true seat. I've pretty well narrowed my search down to a specific Catalina 14.2 and a Flying Scot. I was leaning towards the Scot, but pictures show the Catalina cockpit going nearly to the transom while the Scot is primarily mid-boat. So, I'm not sure the larger Scot really gains much personnel capacity? Any insight is appreciated! FWIW, the two specific boats are similar in price. The Catalina is newer and with less weather wear, but both are fully functional.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
FWIW Our club is selling a pair of Scots and their trailers, cheap.

I'm not involved in the process only aware from the flyer on the bulletin board. I can put you in contact with the appropriate person if interested.

A long trip for you but.....

cstrub

Apr 9, 2019
Catalina prospect 14.2 Lake Superior
Thanks Rick. I appreciate that but better stick with my local options. Just wanting some thoughts from anyone on cockpit sizes and family friendliness. Take care!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@cstrub First welcome to the Forum.
Both boats are very nice. They (in my opinion) appeal to different folk.
The 14.2
  • is similar to your laser only with a better cockpit. The area near the transom is not usable while sailing. You need all of that space for the tiller. Your going to be able to sit there once you stop sailing and dangle you arms in the water, but while sailing not a place for anyone. They will be in the space ahead of the tiller.
  • The 14.2 is a single sail boat and geared for daysail experience. If you have others in the area there might be a local racing group. Definitely geared to lake spring time fun for two to four (max) folk wearing life jackets.

The Flying Scot has
  • A big following. It is designed more as a sloop daysailer. There is adequate space for 3-4 sailors. The space around the tiller is hard deck and since functions similar to the 14.2 is used only when th abbot is not being sailed.
  • There is an organized Flying Scot racing group. The boat has multiple sails (main and jib) so provides good learning experiences as a transition boat for the future.
I loved racing the Flying Scot in San Diego. Learned a lot and found it a fun boat to sail.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Checked the board. Just in case anyone wanted more info. One is gone the other one is still up for grabs First $500 will take it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Something like a lido 14 might work better... it's heavier and you ca sail it with 4 peeps.

Oct 25, 2015
Catalina 22 Cave Run Lake ky
I have sailed Scot's off and on since the early 1970's and for family usage, teaching, and racing they are the better boat.
A friend has a 14.2 and it is much closer to a over size laser than a scot.

For a test of a family boat I suggest you step from the dock to the edge of the midship rail and see who dumps your kids in the water. My grandson at age 8 can do both boats successfully but my son has learned the hard way he can not do it, and I just laughed and said I will board a different way.

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Having owned a flyingscot the only way I would consider the 14.2 is if you planned a lot single handed sailing the scot can become a handful and heavier winds. I have had 7 on mine and we were not cramped in so it is pretty roomy .Very stable boat I am not a racer ,but it is fun to play with a spinnaker

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
sandy douglas designed the thistle, hot rod/very uncomfortable, then he designed the flying dutchman, big brother to the thistle, faster and just a little more comfortable/maybe, these are not entry level boats but really fun. so to open up sailing to more(so he could sell more boats) he designed the highlander, way more comfortable for the crew and a hoot to sail, still the entry level people were shy of these dynamic sailers, so sandy designed the flying scot, it's a detuned highlander, shorter rig, very stable, can nicely fit up to eight adults. it make a nice entry level boat that is reassuring to the new sailor. they are slower than his other designs and were given the nickname "flying sidewalk" as they could not compete with the racers from that era. clubs love them for easy ways.

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Then someone at custom flex had the bright idea of adding a cabin to making the very rare Mallard
mallard.jpg