Got a new IRON GENNEY

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi All

Just placed an order for one of these...But I did not buy it online. I wanted to support the local guy so I ordered it through him.

upload_2019-4-2_13-51-56.png

I did not ask for a price match but he gave me one anyway. When I purchased my H26 in 2016, it came with a Honda 9.9. It runs great but it is a short shaft and comes out of the water on a starboard tack and if the chop is bad. I figure I can sell it to a fisherman with a jon boat or some such thing.

I was told I'll have it Thursday. AND my registration stickers for the boat came in the mail yesterday so.... I'll be sailing Friday afternoon unless there is lighting.... or a tornado warning. Yep! Season starts this weekend.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Congrats! Is it 2 or 4 stroke?
Yep tornado/hail season is beginning. I want to get my boat in ASAP. I think it's safer in the water than on a trailer.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have the same one only 25" long on my O'day 25, love it!

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Congrats. Can you tell us about your decision process? What made you choose this particular model?

-Z

Jan 19, 2010
Congrats. Can you tell us about your decision process? What made you choose this particular model?

-Z
Sure
  1. I wanted the longer shaft but I decided that 25" was too long
    1. The prop would likely drag a little at 25" even when in the up position...given the way the H26 engine mount is designed.
    2. Also at 25" the prop would be more likely to get struck (sticks out further) when the engine is up and tied at the slip.
  2. I don't think the H26 really needs 9.9hp. I have seldom had my Honda above 1/3 throttle and I'm at hull speed.
    1. smaller engine weighs less, uses less fuel and is easier to lift off the boat for repairs.
  3. The sail pro was designed for displacement hulls and comes with a high thrust prop as a standard feature.
  4. I wanted a 12V alternator to go with my solar panel. On a long weekend I should be able to run the fans without worry.
  5. I've been watching this O.B. for years and it has always had great reviews.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
I got one last season and love it. One odd feature on the new ones is that you cant tilt the motor up unless it is in forward gear. This I suppose is to help the reverse dogs have time to catch for those who like to suddenly slam it into reverse. So you have to remember to put it back into neutral after lowering before you try to start it.
Dennis

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rob ;

I did not put that short shaft on as it was an earlier Tohatsu. Folks I sold the boat originally. I also have helped a little with Rob's boat but now that rascal is too far away and maybe I will wrestle him back to the mountains of Virginny. Great choice of motor. Are you going with the differnent prop for sure.

Jan 19, 2010
Rob ;

I did not put that short shaft on as it was an earlier Tohatsu. Folks I sold the boat originally. I also have helped a little with Rob's boat but now that rascal is too far away and maybe I will wrestle him back to the mountains of Virginny. Great choice of motor. Are you going with the differnent prop for sure.
Hi Dave

Yes Jon put this Honda on this boat. Still runs great but really is not a good choice for this boat. It is also heavy and more hp than I need. And yes, this new motor has the high thrust prop.

Jan 19, 2010
I'll be picking up my O.B. today. I wanted to make one more plug for buying local instead of ordering online. When the OB arrived at the shop, they topped off all of the fluids, etc. did a compression check and then put it in the tank for a test run. Same cost as the online dealer. And now I "have a guy" for when it needs repairs.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
P4060002.JPG
Good deal !! I have had the same engine on my 1981 H22 (above) for the past 10 yrs, and a Tohatsu 4Hp on my dinghy for the last 4 yrs. I'm very satisfied with both of them. By the time I bought the 4 HP for the dinghy, it cost as much as the 6 HP previously for the boat. ;-] Please share some pictures when you get it installed... It's always nice to see the latest shiny object on the block ! !

There is still too much chilly weather and cool water up here in Southern New England to launch mine quite yet, but plenty of time to work on the "must to-do list" ... and maybe the "might to-do list". For example the gelcoat spider cracks and lazarette bulkhead replacement have not yet bubbled up on THE LIST.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
I like the netting you have on your bow pulpit. Sharp.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What a heart throb, Rob. Could not resist. Taking a break from the chain saw. Was I nuts to buy billy goat property? No as I do not mind but on side of a steep hill watching out for copper heads

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
It’s a great choice for the 240. I replaced a Merc 8hp 2-stroke at the start of last season and have been pleased. Plenty of power, starts like a champ, and the stern access makes using the throttle and gear controls a breeze. The only minor negative is the vibration from the single cylinder vs the two cylinder it replaced.

Jan 19, 2010
I have had mine out twice now and I've had the opportunity to start it four times. Each time it started on the first pull. The only negative I have found so far is the tilt release does not seem to work properly and I have to lean half my body over the stern to disengage the tilt lock. It might be a simple adjustment thing (I hope).

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It might be a simple adjustment thing (I hope).
Is it in forward gear?
I got one last season and love it. One odd feature on the new ones is that you cant tilt the motor up unless it is in forward gear. This I suppose is to help the reverse dogs have time to catch for those who like to suddenly slam it into reverse. So you have to remember to put it back into neutral after lowering before you try to start it.
Dennis

Jan 19, 2010
No

It has this problem even when off. There is a leaver on the side that does not seem to catch anything so I have to reach further down the lower unit and catch a small metal latch and flip it up. Problem is I am now laying on the same motor I want to tilt up which is a rather hard thing to do.