Poor mans teak and Holley

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
8888907C-ACF3-4E18-85E1-09447D23A305.jpeg I wanted to replace the bilge covers but didn’t want to spend a fortune on real harwood. I decided to experiment with a section of red oak plywood I picked up from Home Depot. After cutting to size I rub stained it with Minwax Sedona red. Two coats of helmsman clear varnish. I wanted to add the appearance of secondary wood so I taped out some striping and sprayed almond colored dupli color paint. Removed the tape and let dry for a day. I then added more coats of varnish. I was afraid that the varnish would eat the paint but it didn’t.

I plan on rolling flex seal on the bottom of the boards to protect from moisture.

I detailed this just in case someone else wants to take the cheap route like me.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
That looks great! I use a lot of western red cedar when making exterior trim pieces, which works very well also.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The plywood bonding glue will be the weak point. Make sure you seal the edges to lengthen time. I'd epoxy both the bottom and edging.
HD buys low grade veneer plywood that's looks ok but is made with low quality glue and core plys. Both are effected by moisture. If you see it warp or bubble with will be why.
The finish looks great,

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looks great! I second the recommendation to seal the bottom and edges with epoxy.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Impressive looking woodwork! I also like how neat and clean your workshop looks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice work.
Seal with a clear epoxy. Then cover with a varnish to protect from UV rays.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Looks great!

I did something similar for the floor on our boat. Started with birch plywood. Then taped where I wanted the "holly" lines with Frog Tape. Then the trick is to score through the tape along the exact lines you want for the "holly" with a razer knife.. Peel off the excess tape. Then stain. The scored tape edges keep the stain from creeping and you get a nice fake teak and holly look. I sealed both sides and edges with epoxy, then finished with several coats of polyurethane.