Catalina 310 owners on Lake Michigan

Sep 25, 2008
The 310 is on my next boat short-list. I'd value opinions about the boat's motion comfort from any owners sailing the great lakes, where the "chop" often turns into 3-4 foot box-shaped waves.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Paul, We sail on Lake Erie, Cannot get much choppier than that! And we sail South of the Islands, again cannot imagine more choppier !
We are not bothered by the waves, as much, due to the boats hull design which we feel handles the wave motion well especially when we have boat speed. We also sail between Ferry routes that cause wave, again we feel the hull shape minizes it as much as it can. I am not a marine engineer so someone else may have better terminology or descriptions.
We also do most of our sailing during the week and try to avoid weekends because of PEOPLE.
We are sailing this summer up to top of Lake Huron, Mackinac and we are excited about that and how the boat sails on Deep Huron as compared to Shallow Erie (average 65').

Oct 3, 2011
Its GOOD to have GOALS!
We are blessed in that we are retired and have the ability to schedule such!
But the Boat Design, we feel handles that very well.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We also do most of our sailing during the week and try to avoid weekends because of PEOPLE.
This applies especially to Boston Harbor, even the outer harbor. The wakes from all those motorboats can ruin an otherwise perfect day.

Oct 3, 2011
I think power boat owners should be MANDATED to get a license-no matter how old or how much expierence and renew it every 5 years. They should be taught./reviewed Rules of the Road, navigation and safety. Just MHO

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I sailed a 309 (same hull as 310) on Lake Michigan for a few years and found it to be just fine. Comfortable.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I think power boat owners should be MANDATED to get a license-no matter how old or how much expierence and renew it every 5 years. They should be taught./reviewed Rules of the Road, navigation and safety. Just MHO
A good start, but it might be necessary to go one step further and teach marine etiquette. On long stretches of the ICW, it is common practice to radio the boat ahead of you and request a slow pass. The boat in front would slow down and move over and the following boat would speed up a little and pass with little or no wake. On weekends or near urban centers, though, all bets were off. Often, a large power boat would speed by everybody, potentially causing damage and injury with a three foot wake. Yes, the rules of the road say he is responsible for his wake, but I have yet to see one of these bozos held accountable. A little common sense would go a long way to making it as safe as possible out there.

Oct 3, 2011
We are going up to Mackinac this summer, I hope siamese is right But on Erie we are south of the islands and the stinkboaters on weekends make for the islands with no due regard for anyone else and little concern for their own safety and charts.
We listen to the VHF and count the calls for BOATUS for-running out of gas, engine won't start, run aground and laugh when they ask "Where are you?" at some of the answers!.
Like Tom, we have been on the ICW and the courtesy was amazing by some power boaters.
Not all power boaters are this way but like anything a few hurt the majority, we even find in our area the charter fisherman are sometimes also way inconsiderate. We have contacted the County Sheriff of the area every spring to remind them of our concerns and they do a good job-even so far as bringing a deputy aboard for observation as to the violations (No Wake, reckless operation Etc) But we are where we are, I just wish no one gets hurt or nothing damaged and making boating fun and safe for all. JMHO.