Fuel Tank pickup tube

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
Can anyone tell me which tank fitting has the pickup tube...I know one is the return and one the the supply....I am hoping it is the on I can reach on the port side. I am trying to track down a fuel delivery issue and it is looking like the tank may be the problem.
Fuel pump, filters, and oil pressure switch are all new as part of the winter task list.
Unrelated but also changed the heat exchanger and most hoses as part of the long overdue maintainance list this winter.

Thanks

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Does one have a shut off valve on it? My 93 C30 has one on the supply side.
Sounds like you've done some good maintenance on your engine.

Dec 5, 2010
The 310 has a valve on the return and supply line...I am guessing it will be the one closer to the center of the tank

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yep, Ward hit it, they usually think to make it the one you can reach, even if it requires standing on your head thru the aft lazzerette lid. I mark mine "off>>>>>on" with a silver sharpie for those times when you wonder if you remembered to open after the last filter change.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Can anyone tell me which tank fitting has the pickup tube...I know one is the return and one the the supply....I am hoping it is the on I can reach on the port side. I am trying to track down a fuel delivery issue and it is looking like the tank may be the problem.
Fuel pump, filters, and oil pressure switch are all new as part of the winter task list.
Unrelated but also changed the heat exchanger and most hoses as part of the long overdue maintainance list this winter.

Thanks
Both the supply and return are side by side on my boat. They are on the starboard side, though, and I can reach both of them by leaning a ways into the starboard quarter seat hatch, and they both have shutoff valves. When I am doing maintenance on the fuel system, I just shut both of them off.
I have to be careful when motorsailing on a starboard tack. Too much heel to port, and the engine dies (ask me how I know this!).

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The 310 has a valve on the return and supply line...I am guessing it will be the one closer to the center of the tank
Unfortunately, it probably depends on what tank CY did used when they built your boat. Ours (#31) has the pickup on the starboard side (with a valve) and the return on port (no valve). I'm pretty certain our tank isn't the same used on later C310s.
IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1103.JPG

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Here's a suggestion: attach a small bell to the supply line near the inlet of the fuel filter, then go to the tank and jiggle the lines. The one that does not ring the bell is the return line. You can then mark them ! If no bell available, take an empty beer can, throw some coins or screws in it, it will rattle when the line is jiggled. Good luck

Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
Both the pick up and supply have a pick up tube. I just replaced the tank and both the old and the new tank came from Ezell with both tubes installed. Most of us have the 27 gallon tank. Here is the spec sheet from CD. This is the exact tank for hull 164.
Good luck.
Jeff

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
Both the pick up and supply have a pick up tube. I just replaced the tank and both the old and the new tank came from Ezell with both tubes installed. Most of us have the 27 gallon tank. Here is the spec sheet from CD. This is the exact tank for hull 164.
Good luck.
Jeff
The brochure and owners manual I’ve got copies of show a 20 or 27 gallon tank. Must have changed it fairly early in the production run. The extra volume would be nice for long motoring runs, but if you don’t use the engine very much it would take forever to use up the diesel in the bigger tank. Just one more compromise, I guess...

Dec 5, 2010
Good luck.
Jeff
Thanks for the specs, looks like we have the 27 gal tank in hull #222 and the supply line is connected to the fitting on the Starboard end of the tank...don’t think I can reach it without taking the hot water heater out.
I can disconnect the fuel line at the Raycor and blow air into the tank so I don’t think it is blocked but for some reason the flow from the tank still seems to be an issue...the mystery continues.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I just emptied my tank and yes the pickup tube would get blocked but than clear up.
What was happening was I had sludge in bottom and when the boat got shaken around the sludge would break loose and clog the pickup tube and than unclear.
I emptied the whole tank and found a lot of sludge on the bottom but got it all out and now everything is running good.
Nick

Dec 5, 2010
I just emptied my tank and yes the pickup tube would get blocked but than clear up.
What was happening was I had sludge in bottom and when the boat got shaken around the sludge would break loose and clog the pickup tube and than unclear.
I emptied the whole tank and found a lot of sludge on the bottom but got it all out and now everything is running good.
Nick
Thanks Nick....I think that may be my issue, wish I didn’t have 26 gals of fuel in the tank.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Next time it acts up, open the tank fill deck plate and see if the issue goes away.

It could be a clogged or collapsed vent. We are having an intermittent issue. I emptied the tank and put a shop vac in through the sender hole. Didn't find anything. Even put a rag down on a stick and it came back clean and dry. Still having the issue.

Last time I filled the tank I couldn't hear anything from the vent. So we ordered all new hose and a new vent. Our fuel hose is original too so we are going to replace that as well. I plan to move the fuel filter from under the stairs and change to a Racor 500.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That looks like a clam from the black lagoon crawled into your fuel tank and grew.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes I have not touched the fuel since the boat was new and never had any fuel ever and I
guess I was due and as I said I pumped out all my fuel and than used the fuel gauge sending unit
and used my shop vac with smaller taped on the shop vac to suck everything out.
I used a snake camera with a long snake camera to see all parts of my tank and did really clean tank and did remove the screen on the pickup tube.
So my Racor 500 is looking good and drain the bottom for any water more often and just did a 3 week cruise up the west coast and the engine ran great.
Nick

Attachments

Dec 5, 2010
I knew I wanted one of those snake cameras....now I know why.
Boat is running now....I blew thru the fuel line to make sure the pickup was not clogged and I got what I could out of the bottom of the tank with a small pump (a tiny bit of water and black specs of some kind), I also tried blowing air into the vent...no luck with that but it now runs. I think I will look a bit more at the vent and also plan to look in the tank with the camera in the future. Hopefully I have it solved....we shall see. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Nov 16, 2012
There’s a different thread on this forum about a series of technical notes from Mainsheet Magazine. I was just reading one from 2005 and came across some good information about the fuel tanks written by Bill Lewis, C310 Assn. Technical Editor at that time:

"A few relevant facts about the C310 and the M-25XPB engine: 1) the fuel tank is mounted athwart ship at the stern and is slightly higher than the engine, 2) the fuel supply and return lines are attached to down tubes that protrude in to the tank to within 1/2" of the bottom (Hull 54 and newer), 3) the supply down tube is mounted toward the starboard end of the tank and the return tube is mounted closer to the centerline of the tank..."

He and Catalina recommended swapping the lines, so the supply draws closer to the centerline. This was in response to a problem of the engine stalling out when heeled more than 20 degrees on starboard tack with a tank less than half full.

So that explains the difference in fuel tanks between early and late boats. Probably has no bearing on Scott's problem, but good information for those of you with hulls after #53.