This is Gonna be Interesting...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Came across this in my inbox today:

"1.The north (inbound) channel, directly under the SH146 bridge, will be completely closed beginning at 8:00am on Monday 4/15/19. This closure will be in place continuously for approximately one month. This closure will allow the contractor to remove the existing fender system so they can begin constructing new bridge foundations. The south (outbound channel) will not be obstructed by other work on the SH146 project while this closure is in place.

a.Please be advised that the south (outbound) channel will have two-way traffic during this time.

b.Message boards have been placed on both approaches to the channel to assist with notifying approaching vessels.

c.The closure will consist of two barges side-by-side within the channel as depicted below:"

I'm debating just taking down a lawn chair, some food and drinks, sitting down and just watching the commotion.

Attachments

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
That would be the equivalent of me posting " they are dredging our harbour this week and depositing the spoils out by Biggies Rock", the locals know what I'm talking about, but the rest of us don't know where the hell you are talking about.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
don't know where the hell you are talking about.
That's why I attached the file. Two channels run under the causeway, one inbound and one outbound. They're closing the outbound one, so only one side of the bridge will be open, which only allows one boat to pass through at a time.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
D59CAD8A-3896-4F2B-B726-E89369F91FDB.jpeg

The bridge is being widened by a couple lanes and another bridge will be built next to it. There are several thousand boat slips on the Clear Lake side of the bridge that use the channels for access to Galveston Bay and beyond. I hazard to say, some boaters are unfamiliar with the colregs that will come into play in this situation. This channel is crowded with every sort of craft you can imagine from sup’s to 70’ power yachts.
Simon is right, this will be a “cluster” on weekends.
No worries Simon, my marina is on the bay side of the bridge and I fueled up at Marlin last time I was out 6 weeks ago. Won’t be long and we’ll be on the bay again, one more week in the boot.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
lol much improved still from the old swing bridge. They used to sell T-shirts that read- I survived the bridge.

Just imagine running a 22 foot wide trimaran through there back then :(