1980 H27 Freshwater Plumbing Questions

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
My H27 has a large rectangular tank under the V-berth. (looks like about 30 gallons) It looks nothing like the small triangular (15gal) tank on the schematics, fine... it's probably been replaced at some point, any idea where the fill line is located? OR did they make some with the big water tanks?

Thanks Y'all

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Hi Jonathan,
The tank is 25 gallons and the fill for it is in the anchor locker. Clean the crud out of the way before you unscrew the plug.
Pulling the lid on the water tank is on my list so I can give it all a good scrubbing, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The HeadMistress has a thread about shocking the system, which may be enough for you.
Dan

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I installed a Bomar inspection port in the top lid of the water tank. I removed the lid to do the job and rebedded it with dow 795 silicone. The port's lid is easy to remove and check how much water is left in the tank. I usually fill the tank by bringing a water hose through the v-berth hatch and filling through the port. Its then easy to tell how much water I'm putting in.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've never understood why Hunter made it necessary on some smaller boats to bring a hose aboard and have to stick it into a fitting inside the anchor locker to fill a water tank...unless it was to save the cost of installing a deck fill. Retrofitting one wouldn't be that expensive...90% the cost would be paying someone who knows what he's doing and has the right tool(s) to cut the hole in the side deck for the fitting, which can be as far aft of the tank as it needs to be to reach it from the dock.
My $.02 worth anyway....your mileage may vary.
--Peggie

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
These thoughts parallel my own. What was a designer smoking when he thought it a good idea to put the fill port in the bottom of the anchor locker?

Haven't had the chance to do much exploring around there yet, but moving it to the deck is definitely on my think about it to do list.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I've never understood why Hunter made it necessary on some smaller boats to bring a hose aboard and have to stick it into a fitting inside the anchor locker to fill a water tank...unless it was to save the cost of installing a deck fill. Retrofitting one wouldn't be that expensive...90% the cost would be paying someone who knows what he's doing and has the right tool(s) to cut the hole in the side deck for the fitting, which can be as far aft of the tank as it needs to be to reach it from the dock.

My $.02 worth anyway....your mileage may vary.
--Peggie
You are right Peggie, it makes no sense and would have been just as easy to have the water fill on the deck. They didn't save any money,, what were they thinking?? I can't imagine a more unsanitary spot than the anchor locker, except maybe inside the holding tank!