Balmar SG-200 Question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I recently installed a Balmar SG-200 battery monitor. I understand the monitor readings will gain in accuracy as I go through a few discharge/charge cycles.
This past weekend was the first time I had the chance to put a load on the batteries, about 7 Amps, which I did until the SOC was 60% and voltage was 12.2v.
I then turned on the ProCharge Ultra 30A charger. The next day the SG-200 showed 100% SOC and +1Amp, the charger was on float with 1A output.

My question is about the Hours Left function. It showed 0 hours left.
Does the SG-200 need to see an amperage draw in order to calculate hours left? Or does it need to see a few more cycles to calculate Hours Left?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Does the SG-200 need to see an amperage draw in order to calculate hours left?
Yes, Ward. The algorithm works this way for any equipment: Given the load and the storage capacity, how much time do I have left? Storage capacity divided by load = time left.
Just like the MPG thing on your car.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Ward, I had a quick look at the manual and it states "Time Remaining":
"Shows time remaining until battery is completely discharged when the battery is discharging. When charging, shows the time until charge completion."
So when you are charging (ie current going into the battery no matter how small) it shows time to charge completely. In your case 0 hrs 0 mins. Disconnect the charger and it would read time to completely discharge the battery. Neat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Len, it shows time to 50% charge for FLA and I suppose different SOC floor for different chemistries. Right now I’m showing 37hrs left a few minutes later 100hrs (the fridge stoped running). On the winter cruise with Ward we didn’t ever let batteries get low. This is my third day on the hook here with no charge. I’ll run the Honda today to top them off.

To show hours left I believe it wants to see below float voltage. To show hours to 100% it wants to see amps going into the battery.

Anyone get the Bluetooth dongle yet?? Should be in the next few weeks.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@Hello Below
Thanks for finding this. When I read the manual looking for a reason for the 0 Hrs, I somehow missed it. Very cool is right.

@LeslieTroyer
Showing Hours Left dependent upon load sounds very useful. If you have few hours left you can shed loads and track what will extend hours left. Nice.

Thanks