First 235

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I see poking around web there was one boat w/a deeper lead keel designed by Lief Bailey.
Mars was to cast if at least 6 owner would sign on, that ever happen?

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Got any Coles notes on that, I'm still waiting for my registration to take effect.
How did your adj. genoa cars work out?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
They work pretty well. I might add another block though. Trying to find the thread but, not yet. Kelly approved a bunch of requests a while back.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Thanks anyway. Just submitted request this afternoon .........
You PHRF on the lake there? Capri 25s, any SJ 24's still racing? J's, Lindenburgs, who do u beat/tussle with?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
We have 2 PHRF fleets, J/24, J/22, Sonar, Ensign, S2 7.9, J/70 & Capri 25 fleets. No San Juans currently. We race in PHRF.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks anyway. Just submitted request this afternoon .........
You PHRF on the lake there? Capri 25s, any SJ 24's still racing? J's, Lindenburgs, who do u beat/tussle with?
The mighty Lindenburgs are all gone. The last SJ24 left about 3 years ago when the owner joined the Capri 25 fleet. They like the competition there but hate the boat. The hardest boats for us to beat in the PHRF 1 fleet are the J/27s. Those boats (like all Js) sail VERY well to their rating.

Re the keel, if you want a read while waiting for the admit to 235.com, here is a post I started on Sailing Anarchy that started the whole thing.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/179321-keel-update-possible-wlydo-project

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
The last SJ24 left about 3 years ago when the owner joined the Capri 25 fleet. They like the competition there but hate the boat.
Was that "Dave the bartender"? I crewed on his SJ out of Wayzeta once or twice in the late '90's and even then I think he said the SJ fleet was thinning out due to the Capris.

Re the keel, if you want a read while waiting for the admit to 235.com, here is a post I started on Sailing Anarchy that started the whole thing.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/179321-keel-update-possible-wlydo-project
Yeah read that through and through a couple days ago when I found a couple juicy 235's online on my side of the divide.
If that projects viable I'd even consider buying the cheaper the wing keeled model.
Do any of the boats locally have the mod.? Did it ever get past just the one in Calif.?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Was that "Dave the bartender"? I crewed on his SJ out of Wayzeta once or twice in the late '90's and even then I think he said the SJ fleet was thinning out due to the Capris.

Yeah read that through and through a couple days ago when I found a couple juicy 235's online on my side of the divide.
If that projects viable I'd even consider buying the cheaper the wing keeled model.
Do any of the boats locally have the mod.? Did it ever get past just the one in Calif.?
That's fun that you used to sail at WYC. No, the last SJ24 was 'Athos' owned by friends of ours, Ed and Kim.

I think at least two 235s have done the mod. The outfit that made the keels will make more on demand, even on a one-off basis. None are locally; the 5 at WYC are all wings. If I ever got back in the 235 game, I would fine a fin for sure.