Mac 25 upper & lower shroud lengths ?

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Good morning all, does anyone out there happen to know the stock lengths of the upper & lower shrouds for a mac 25. i have searched everywhere but here.. Thanks

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
'Blue Water yachts" would probably be your best bet. I have a 86 Mac 25. I can take pictures and give you the measurement's I have if you think that would that would help.

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning & thank you a bunch for the reply ! I have a 85'mac 25 here in Puerto Vallarta so i'm thinking that your's would be the same as mine & it would be considered a Godsend if you would measure the upper & the lower for me.BWY wouldn't give me stock measurements & told me that i would need to send the old ones to them & getting them shipped to the States & back here would be an expense that i cannot afford so i have to put them together down here but the problem is that my boat 'Nina' dis masted during a storm down here while she was on a mooring & the shrouds frayed & broke so they are impossible to measure accurately. Ido know the diameters of the cable is 5/32". Thanks again !

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the reply, that is what i was thinking but why does BWY tell you that the shrouds have to be sent to them to be duplicated,doesn't make sense if they are adjustable.

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on the shroud measurement's. I have been really busy at work. From the outer edges of the thimbles the upper is 22 feet 10 and 1/4 inches. The lower shrouds are 12 feet and 3/4 inches. I have only had this boat for a year or so. The previous owner had it since 2009. I have know idea how old they are or if they are OEM. They are probably very close to stock, but I have know way of knowing for sure. Let me know if you need any more info.

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning my friend. I thank you for taking the time to send me the shroud measurements from your Mac 25 ! They are within 1/4" of the measurements on Nina & that could be just a difference in tape measures. Just in case you or anyone else needs to re do their standing rigging i have found this place in Idaho to have by far, the best prices on the cable,thimbles & copper ferrules. https://bluejayindustrial.com/. Thanks again for the info & if you ever get to Puerto Vallarta i owe you a beer or 10 !

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning Mark, I have another question regarding the upper shrouds on your Mac 25. My 25 has a copper ferrule swagged on each side of the wire rope coming out of the end caps on both of the spars. Is this normal & if so,why ? Thanks !

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Doesn't sound normal. Can you post a picture, so I'm sure of what you are saying.

Nov 19, 2018
DSC04407 (800x450).jpg This is my port side upper shroud with the swagged wire rope button stops on both sides of the end caps. The 5/32"1x19 316 rope is only 18 months old & it failed inside the swagged copper ferrule coming out & going aft. The mast looked to be in column & nothing looked twisted or hung up but the last time i raised the mast it was a "bear" to raise, even with the gin pole & mast raising system. I see now that could be the reason that it was so difficult to winch up. After i posted this question i contacted BWY & was told that my set up isn't stock & they see no advantages for it being done that way & that it could cause a bent spar so when i re rig it i will certainly not use the swagges there. When it failed there 18 month ago i only replaced that one shroud & had the stops swaged there because i thought it was the stock way to do it.Upon closer inspection i find that the starboard upper has two broken strands at the swage coming out the aft also so i will replace all of the shrouds. Another tip from BWY for anyone reading this is that the shrouds going through the end caps on the spars should be snug only so that the shroud can move to align with the mast. Thanks for taking the time to reply.By the way, for anyone looking for good prices on rigging parts try Bluejay Industrial inc in Hayden,Idaho. Good prices & helpful !

shine

Sep 14, 2009
I don't think its stock either. In fact I think that's what caused the wire to fail. because the spreaders are swept back to aft, you have to be looking a bit at them when you raise the mast to make sure the spreader doesn't get hung up. If your careful, you can set up a small later onto the deck and help put them into a better position after the mast is raised. Thanks for the lead on the rigging parts supplier.

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning, i spoke with Ezra @ BYW &those button stops are not supposed to be there & they agree with your idea that they could have been the culprit. If & when i get the mast straightened out i will re-do all of the standing rigging but i won't be putting those stops on the uppers. Yes, Bluejay Industries has very good prices & quality products. I ordered 1x19 316 5/32" wire rope & all of the thimbles & copper ferrules from them for about 1/2 the price of what i saw anywhere else online & 1/8th of the price of what it sells for here in Mexico,plus they were very helpful answering all of my questions.
I have another question for you that is about your M 25 that is unrelated to rigging & maybe i'll have to post it in a new thread because i'm not sure about the rules but i'm going to ask you any way,sorry if i'm doing this wrong. just let me know & i'll re-post it.When you are motoring only with no sails up in deep choppy water with no chances of the keel hitting anything is your boat more responsive & stable with the keel locked in it's swept back position or is it better with the keel lowered all of the way down ? Thanks !

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks Mark, As you probably already know, i posted the question on a new thread the other day & what i have gathered from the replies are that the boat is most stable & maneuverable in deep, choppy water,with no sails up, with the keel locked in it's swept back position instead of all of the way down.

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
Whudatt....are you sailing out of PV? I am there every few months. In the middle of buying a place now.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
All you Magregor fans, I saw the Mac 65 in Annapolis on Sunday. Very trim. Only the 2nd time I've seen it in 20+ years.

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning, yes i am in the area. i live 9 miles South of PV, about a mile from a a small fishing village of about 400 people called Boca de Tomatlan. my 85' Mac 25 "Nina" is currently on a mooring there. If you Google Earth it you might see her on her mooring about 1/2 way out of the cove on the left hand side. Boca is small but very busy because it's the last village on the highway going South before it turns inland & every thing going to or from all of the other villages which have no road access has to be by water taxis & their boats are called Pangas, even the villages that have no schools send their kids to school by boat !
My 1st & last mate,Kathy, came here from Las Vegas,Nv ten years ago & we love it here !
where in Pv is your house ?We are retired here so if you should happen to have any questions, fire away !