Catalina 27 Bulkhead Replacement

Feb 11, 2019
Catalina 27 Tulsa
Good day. I want to apologize in advance if my terminology is wrong or I don't completely understand what is being said because I am just a self-taught sailor. I recently purchased a 1985 Catalina 27 that is in a slip on the lake with the mast stepped. I recently noticed that the port side bulkhead has some rotting at the top and the veneer is peelings badly. I would like to completely remove and replace this piece but not sure if that is a job for an average guy. I figured I would remove the chain plate, dismantle the little locker the bulkhead make ups, and use the old as a temple for a new bulkhead. I would use a new piece of marine grade plywood. Has anyone done this before and can offer advice? How would I support the mast with the upper shroud removed? I have attached the only picture I currently have that shows the area. Thank you for the help.

Portside_Bulkhead.jpg

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I wouldn't do it on the water. Have boat hauled and put in a cradle with the mast down.

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
I replaced both main bulkheads last year. You can do this in the water. I had the mast dropped to replace standing rigging etc., and returned the boat to her slip where I replaced both bulkheads. Unless you are berthed in a rough marina with heavy winds buffeting and rocking you, I think you could leave the mast up, supported with a halyard. You might attach a line to the port main shroud and take up some tension on it to keep the support on the two sides at the same point on the mast. I used 1/2" marine grade okoume plywood, finished with Minwax red oak stain, followed by 2 coats of West System epoxy, using the 207 hardener for efficiency and then 3 coats of exterior Varathane. Be sure to seal the plywood edges with epoxy!
The hardest part was fitting the larger starboard bulkhead. Woodwork around the locker and the head disassembled pretty easily and went back in place easily also. Your port bulkhead is so small, I would use teak ply to replace it, although I don't know whether you will get any better color match than I did with okoume.
Good luck with the project! The hardest parts for me were getting around to it, and starting. It wasn't as difficult as I expected.
Here are the original bulkheads in September 2013:

Here are the new bulkeads installed in July 2018:

Last edited: