Jabsco toilet problem.

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
My Jabsco electric head fills up roughly half of the bowl after flushing. Is the problem the joker? Flapper? Thanks.

Dec 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Fleetwood, UK
Check the solenoid valve. Just a tiny piece of dirt in it can cause it to continue to fill with fresh water. Apparently these are a constant issue. I took mine apart and cleaned it as they are a bit pricey to replace.

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Thanks. The motor shuts off but water will creep into the bowl over the next half hour or so.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There may or may not be a solenoid valve in the intake... if there is, it will be--or should be--on a vented loop installed in the intake line. If you have the owners manual for your toilet, there's an illustration in it...if you don't have the owners manual, tell me which model Jabsco and I can post a link to it. If there is no solenoid, there still needs to be a vented loop in the intake, but it can be installed without a solenoid in the short line that connects the motor assembly to the bowl (not shown in the manual).
--Peggie

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
There may or may not be a solenoid valve in the intake... if there is, it will be--or should be--on a vented loop installed in the intake line. If you have the owners manual for your toilet, there's an illustration in it...if you don't have the owners manual, tell me which model Jabsco and I can post a link to it. If there is no solenoid, there still needs to be a vented loop in the intake, but it can be installed without a solenoid in the short line that connects the motor assembly to the bowl.
--Peggie
Not what I was expecting. <hanging my head in shame>

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Thanks Peggy. It is Jabsco 37010-1000 I believe. There is a vented loop installed but there is only a cap on the top of the loop. I installed the toilet several years ago. Was in fresh water until last year and now in salt.

Attachments

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Peggy I cleaned the vent-small rubber thing. No change. Pumped bowl continues to slowly fill to 1/3 to 1/2. Any other ideas? Joker? Thanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The loop appears to be high enough, but maybe not. To be the required 6-8" above waterline at max heel--not just when then boat is at rest--puts it 2-3 FEET above the bowl on most sailboats. Does the water rise even when the boat has been sitting, or only during or after sailing? When did this start happening? Approx how much water is 1/3-1/2 bowl...a couple of cups or a quart or more?

Is the water clean or dirty? Does your toilet discharge line rise? How long is it? And finally (for now anyway)...when if ever was the joker valve replaced? That should be done annually if you use the boat much...and not just to block backflow. The toilet's efficiency relies on the condition of the joker valve.
--Peggie

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Peggy the water rises when we have been at the dock. We have been in the water since Jan ‘19 after being on the hard in Charlotte Harbour for 9 months. The issue started roughly 6 weeks ago. It fills with clean looking water ( sea water from the marina basin) by about 2 cups. Approximately 1 cup comes in with the flush.
The discharge line rinses fine and is roughly 10’ long. We have lived aboard in S Florida for 5 months last year and 3 months this year. joker valve was replaced roughly 14 months ago.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Try this. Empty toilet, then pinch off or remove feed line from solenoid valve. Wait and see if problem is solved. If it is, problem is solenoid valve. I tried cleaning mine, but it did not solve the problem. Replacing solenoid valve solved the problem.