April Fools megathread

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
We don’ need no steenken assembly videos, we just need better glue for the end cap, which seems to be subject to getting blown off with amazing regularity. Such is the state for plastic pipe.
Use a threaded end cap-it never blew off using aqua net-where the glue on cap blew off a lot. (based on personal experience from 20+ years ago.)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
That was actually based on a true story. Except the turkey were live. The carnage was horrific! "I honestly thought turkeys could fly! "
--Peggie
Wild turkeys can fly. My golden has often chased them at my wife's bird feeder. They see him coming and they take to the air! Slow and lumbering, but definitely air borne. :)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Army Navy week Prank:

When I was a plebe at Annapolis, we had a WestPoint exchange student living with our company. He was a bit of a jerk to us plebes, so we decided to prank him for Army Navy Week. The weekend before we had bought a bunch of Christmas wrap in town. Starting Monday night we covered the front of the door to his room with a layer of wrap so that when you opened the door, all you saw was Christmas wrap. We did that every night for the week, and he would have to tear it down each morning. By Wednesday, he was crashing through it in the morning to try to catch anyone watching.This continued until Friday morning. On Friday, we wrapped his door as usual, and then pushed the Coke machine from down the hall in front of his door. When he came busting through the paper, he slammed right into the coke machine. We all had a good laugh.
"...the dark side..."

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I made a tennis ball canon as a kid, using hairspray as propellant. The most impressive part was the sound it made when launching, the tennis ball went about as well as one of those tennis ball practice launchers cranked up to high. We also made smaller launchers using heavy cardboard kite string spools for the barrel, a fire cracker for the charge with a marble for the round. Those were incredibly dangerous and I'm a bit surprised, looking back, that no one lost a hand or anything else. A friend made a potato canon that he sharpened the open end so he could "carve" the potato as it went in to make a nice, tight fit. Worked remarkably well.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Army Navy week Prank:

When I was a plebe at Annapolis, we had a WestPoint exchange student living with our company. He was a bit of a jerk to us plebes, so we decided to prank him for Army Navy Week. The weekend before we had bought a bunch of Christmas wrap in town. Starting Monday night we covered the front of the door to his room with a layer of wrap so that when you opened the door, all you saw was Christmas wrap. We did that every night for the week, and he would have to tear it down each morning. By Wednesday, he was crashing through it in the morning to try to catch anyone watching.This continued until Friday morning. On Friday, we wrapped his door as usual, and then pushed the Coke machine from down the hall in front of his door. When he came busting through the paper, he slammed right into the coke machine. We all had a good laugh.
Well, not everyone.

Mar 2, 2014
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs, MS
In most schools these days we have a "Bell Ringer" on the board when students come in the room. It gets them started for the day and gives the teacher time to take roll, etc. My bell ringers are usually very simple fill in the blank. On April Fools Day I create one that asks for two paragraphs of a currently discussed lesson with cited sources. I actually had one student compose two paragraphs on the uses of Google Suite apps in the modern world. Usually someone in the class asks if it's a joke and I confess.

It's fun because no other teacher tries to prank the kids.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Polyester mites

Polyester mite infestation in fiberglass boats!
My father did a how to article on how to repair and eradicate polyester mites found in the hulls of fiberglass boats.
He explains how it looks almost exactly like fiberglass blisters however it is oftentimes missed by an untrained eye.
He explains that the small blisters often form below the water line because the polyester mites thrive under cooler and moist conditions that are often found in the bilge area. July and August seem to be when the polyester mites are most active and as the colony grows they multiply very quickly. They start the invasion process in the bilge and work towards the exterior gel Côte.
In some extreme cases they have been known the invade all sections of the hull. As they multiply they lay there eggs into the polyester glass fibers and the fiberglass itself and when the eggs hatch the larva regurgitate stomach acids which contains enzymes onto the fiberglass polyester mesh that allows them to digest the fiberglass easier. The real damage occurs in the next life cycle when the female polyester mites start to go into the mating season. The females bore into the fiberglass after they have mated and start to grow in size by about twenty times there body mass. This can cause major structural damage to the hull or any fiberglass section that are infested. One female polyester mites can spawn well over eight thousand mites in just a two week cycle. If left unchecked within two years the damage is so serious that the boat is considered a total loss.

Note that this condition can occur on all boats and is not limited to sailboats. However is does seem to be more common in sailboats as of now, although more and more cases are being discovered in power boats in the north east every year.

He published this article in one of his sailing clubs magazine
With his contact information that said to contact him by mail and self addressed envelopes and he will sent all the information needed to get rid of polyester mites once and for all. This was intended as a joke.

He must have gotten about hundred or so people that really believed that crap.

It got so bad that one day he got a e-mail from some engineeer from DuPont that was extremely concerned about the effects that polyester mites had and wanted to know if they were only limited to the boat industry as he had never heard of polyester mites before.

This prompt him to write a second article explaining that it was all a fictitious article. Some people will believe just about anything

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Don't try this at home. Especially inside the home:yikes:.

:thumbup::clap::yeah::dancing:

Also, I feel like that second shot was pushing it on metal fatigue. How many of those do you think that tank can handle before it's the tank walls that go flying instead of the bowling ball?
Maybe a tracer round would be cool too. I couldn't see the shot.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... I feel like that second shot was pushing it on metal fatigue. How many of those do you think that tank can handle before it's the tank walls that go flying instead of the bowling ball?
The guy said that he was loading with FFG. That is an old fashioned black powder, not a modern smokeless powder, so the pressure generated is much lower than you would see inside a modern firearm. In reality, He probably should have used the slower FG grade for a bore that diameter, but he seems to have gotten away with using the more commonly available 2F.