Genoa size

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
I am looking at replacing the jib on my Hunter 31. I am looking for advice on the size genoa to get.
Do any of you have experience or know of performance differences in a 135% versus a 150%? I would like to get the most performance without too much effect on the helm.
We are only cruisers, nothing serious.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Flip Rutledge,

Good morning! There are actually several previous discussion topics based on this question. For the most part, you're mostly just going to be confused because everyone has one of two opinions (135% or 150%) and usually the number of recommendations balance each other out, leaving the forum poster confused and flipping quarters! It really all comes down to how your boat performs, and the typical weather where you sail. As a cruiser, speed isn't your top priority, so a 135% would seem to be the best option for you!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
As a general rule, up wind it is more about luff length (height) than overlap, so there would be no important difference. Off the wind area matters, but this is a small difference. If off the wind speed is important, you add a code zero or chute.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As a general rule, up wind it is more about luff length (height) than overlap, so there would be no important difference. Off the wind area matters, but this is a small difference. If off the wind speed is important, you add a code zero or chute.
True that.

You will also find the 150 much harder to see around, with a bigger forward blind spot.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not true:

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.
I've read that, most of it is correct.

But to be clear, all else being equal and there is enough wind to keep flow attached, a larger LP headsail will be faster than a smaller one. Full stop. I can tell you from first-hand experience that a First 36.7 with its class 140% genoa will get totally rolled by a sistership flying a PHRF-max 155% in 7 knots of breeze. That's true for pretty much any boat.

As thin notes, for any given amount of sail area, the boat with the taller rig will be faster, in particular upwind. Its why 90% of all rigs these days are 9/10 fractional with 105% headsails. Sail aspect ratios of 3.5:1 and greater are now the norm.

Most older boats were designed around an old ratings rule that did not 'charge' for LP overlap. So they were build with squat rigs with huge genoas. On these boats, thats your fastest setup. The difference is: is the difference enough to matter to your program, and what else is important.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a 150 and it is mast head. It also has an elaborate luff-edge foam installation to make it useable down to about a 110. (Furling headsail). Not great, but useable. It is a good versatile sail in lighter wind and beam reaching. Since that design there have been big improvements in off-wind sail hardware. So my current Asym in a sock design can easily go onto a furler and I will likely replace my genoa with a 135 or smaller. I would go with the 135 and have it built to furl to a 100. Then start contemplating how to rig a really powerful asym or code zero.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Asyms and Code 0s, being of lightweight material, are usually not flown in stronger winds. For those, the heavier weight Genoa is safer, and, yes, a 150 will out drive a 135.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here is a cruisers viewpoint.

A 150 is a racing sail. You have to have one to go to the weather mark in light winds. With crew for ballast, you can carry on into medium winds. On anything downwind from a close reach, as you ease the sheet, the sail shape becomes lousy. And furling the sail also results in a bad shape. Finally if the wind pipes up, handling the 150 can be difficult for a cruising crew.

So we usually cruise the variable winds of summer Lake Erie with a 110 and our asymmetric spinnaker. The asymmetric is a perfect sail from 70 to 140 degrees off the wind. Many of our cruising courses fall in that range. And it gives us good speed in light to medium winds.

If we plan a close reach, or close hauled in light winds, we hoist our 135. If winds pick up, we can roll it in to 120-125 and move the fairleads and still have decent shape.

Honestly if we are heading into light winds, and minimal waves, we fire up the iron genny, and motor sail on the main. An advantage of our Lake Erie Islands cruising ground is that there is always a fun destination on a reach if there is wind.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Flip, I had a 150 on my H31 and for Galveston bay winds which are predominantly SE around 12-15 most of the time, I found I was overpowered with my 150 and full main. When replacing sails, I went with a 135 for few reasons. I gained 3 seconds in my PHRF rating with the 135. Also when the breeze did go under 12, I was able to comfortably fly full headsail and main. The H31 sails well/comfortably with this sail configuration.