ProMariner Battery Charger - "PS" Mode vs. "bc" Mode

haebby

Oct 30, 2011
Hi,

We have a ProMariner ProNautic1240P battery charger. Following Maine Sail's advice for these (and Sterling) chargers, we changed the charger's operation mode from "bc" to "PS".

The charger now no loner enters "Auto Maintain" mode, but seems to remain in "Conditioning" mode. Is this the expected behavior?

In "Conditioning" mode, the charger puts out the configured "Conditioning VDC" voltage, which in our case is 14.7V. The batteries are 100% charged (as show also on Balmar Smartgauge). The charger displays an output voltage of 0.4

Since the charger does not seem to enter "Auto Maintain mode anymore, the configure "Auto Maintain VDC" voltage - in our case 13.6V - is never output.

Is this the expected behavior after changing to PS mode?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
You say the charger displays an output voltage of 0.4 V, but you also say it remains in Conditioning mode (14.7V)? Which is it?

haebby

Oct 30, 2011
You say the charger displays an output voltage of 0.4 V, but you also say it remains in Conditioning mode (14.7V)? Which is it?
Ups, sorry, mistyped. The display on the charger indicates that it is in “Conditioning” mode, i.e. the green LED next to “Conditioning” is on. At the same time, the display indicates an output voltage of 14.7 V and an output amperage of 0.4 A.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Pro Mariner has a really great support staff. I've spent literally hours on the phone with them. Google the number and call them. Next call is to the battery manufacturer to get their opinion. If they are Trojan they have a really great guy that will promptly return your call.

MIGuy

Apr 27, 2016
Catalina 320 Anchorage Marina, Holland, MI
I bought and installed the same charger just recently. I looked at my manual after seeing your post and don't think the advice you got is correct. I understand that you would/could set the mode to PS (Power Source) if you wanted to use the charger without charging the batteries (such as to power DC stuff directly....not through the batteries). I think you want BC (battery charge) mode instead to properly first "condition" your batteries and go into "auto-maintain" when it senses the batteries are fully charged.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I can't help but think your information is not correct. BC mode is specifically for charging and maintaining batteries and the charger follows a specific protocol to achieve that end. The constant power is provided from the batteries. PS mode causes the charger to supply a fixed voltage and will supply as much current as its specs allow to provide constant power to DC powered devices where batteries would not be needed or would serve only in the capacity as a filter. Running your charger in PS mode with batteries attached would not serve the batteries well. I have a sterling charger. Disclaimer-This advice is worth as much as you paid for it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
With the Sterling PS mode simply reverts it back to a normal charger without the California "off/Sleep" requirements. It operates perfectly as a multistage charger in PS mode.

MIGuy

Apr 27, 2016
Catalina 320 Anchorage Marina, Holland, MI
I just installed my ProNautic 1240P recently in BC . So, I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I'm happy. I left it in the default BC mode. It did go to sleep (showing 0 volts and 0 amps output) after my batteries were charged/conditioned. If I turned off boat shorepower, and then re-energized, it would go into conditioning mode again and pretty quickly go back to sleep when it confirmed full charges. However, when in sleep mode and placing a DC load on the batteries (turning on my refrigerator), it woke up and started keeping up with the load (about 6 amps). So, it seems to be working well in BC mode...….I plan to leave it that way. Here are 2 excerpts from the manuals (Pre-CEC and post CEC requirements):

PRE-CEC MANUAL
FLOAT MODE OPERATION - When charger is in Float Mode for more than 72 hours and providing less than 5 amps output the unit will go into standby. If amperage is increased above 6 amps for more than 2 minutes charger will come out of standby. When charger is in Float Mode or Standby Mode for 21 days, charger will initiate battery Health Mode and fully recharge batteries ensuring they are ready to go.

CEC MANUAL
CHARGING RATES – The ProNauticP Charger provides multi stage charging (Charging, Conditioning and Auto Maintain) as indicated in the features section. Auto Maintain (Energy Conservation Mode) When charger has properly charged and conditioned the batteries, it will enter its Auto Maintain (Energy Conservation Mode). In this Mode the charger will monitor and Auto Maintain the battery voltages as listed in the battery types chart on page 17 of the user manual. During this Auto Conservation Mode the Standby LED will be on - to view full display, including voltage and current, press any function button. This will place the unit in a continuing maintenance mode. During extended periods of non-use, Battery Health Mode will initiate every 21 days ensuring fully conditioned batteries which will be ready to go.

Feb 6, 1998
I just installed my ProNautic 1240P recently in BC . So, I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I'm happy. I left it in the default BC mode. It did go to sleep (showing 0 volts and 0 amps output) after my batteries were charged/conditioned. If I turned off boat shorepower, and then re-energized, it would go into conditioning mode again and pretty quickly go back to sleep when it confirmed full charges. However, when in sleep mode and placing a DC load on the batteries (turning on my refrigerator), it woke up and started keeping up with the load (about 6 amps). So, it seems to be working well in BC mode...….I plan to leave it that way. Here are 2 excerpts from the manuals (Pre-CEC and post CEC requirements):

PRE-CEC MANUAL
FLOAT MODE OPERATION - When charger is in Float Mode for more than 72 hours and providing less than 5 amps output the unit will go into standby. If amperage is increased above 6 amps for more than 2 minutes charger will come out of standby. When charger is in Float Mode or Standby Mode for 21 days, charger will initiate battery Health Mode and fully recharge batteries ensuring they are ready to go.

CEC MANUAL
CHARGING RATES – The ProNauticP Charger provides multi stage charging (Charging, Conditioning and Auto Maintain) as indicated in the features section. Auto Maintain (Energy Conservation Mode) When charger has properly charged and conditioned the batteries, it will enter its Auto Maintain (Energy Conservation Mode). In this Mode the charger will monitor and Auto Maintain the battery voltages as listed in the battery types chart on page 17 of the user manual. During this Auto Conservation Mode the Standby LED will be on - to view full display, including voltage and current, press any function button. This will place the unit in a continuing maintenance mode. During extended periods of non-use, Battery Health Mode will initiate every 21 days ensuring fully conditioned batteries which will be ready to go.
The problem with California mode is that I've measured some batteries below a 100% SOC open circuit voltage. For one set of Gel batteries I measured, the OCV for 100% SOC is actually 12.97V. In this case CEC mode was actually letting these expensive batteries fall below 100% SOC, and this can lead to sulfation, especially in hotter climates.

Both Sterling and ProMariner state that approx 12.8V should be the "trigger voltage" to bounce back to float voltage but that 12.6V is not necessarily out of spec. As long as the charger remains above the 100% SOC OCV of your particular batteries there is nothing wrong using California/CEC/ BC mode. Unfortunately it does not work perfectly for all batteries.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
With the Sterling PS mode simply reverts it back to a normal charger without the California "off/Sleep" requirements. It operates perfectly as a multistage charger in PS mode.
OK. Thanks for setting me straight.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Hmm...I’m going to have to read my sterling manual again....I was under the impression PS mode is a constant voltage to use as a power supply assuming without batts. Like a bench power supply..

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
ProMariner 1240P usually sits on Standby and the voltage on the Victron is 13.6 to 13.7. Called ProMariner support and they said this was correct and a constant voltage in the 14 plus would fry the batteries.

haebby

Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for all the responses. Indeed, switched back to "bc" mode, as the ProMariner has a constant voltage of 14.7V (depending on your charging profile) in "PS" mode.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
The ProNauticP manual tells you how to select between BC and PS modes at startup but doesn't say whether the setting is non-volatile. It seems to imply that if you cycle power, it'll default to BC mode but it's not very clear. Anyone know if it'll stay in PS mode after power cycling? I'm not near the boat so I can't test this myself at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, the ambiguous section I was referring to was before the main programming instructions. In the programming instructions they explicitly say it's non-volatile.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It seems to imply that if you cycle power, it'll default to BC mode but it's not very clear.
I don't know how it works, but it seems pretty silly if it does work that way. It should be designed for pretty routine disconnection and reconnection to AC; not really a great use case for forgetting user settings on every disconnection.

Feb 6, 1998
The ProNauticP manual tells you how to select between BC and PS modes at startup but doesn't say whether the setting is non-volatile. It seems to imply that if you cycle power, it'll default to BC mode but it's not very clear. Anyone know if it'll stay in PS mode after power cycling? I'm not near the boat so I can't test this myself at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, the ambiguous section I was referring to was before the main programming instructions. In the programming instructions they explicitly say it's non-volatile.
Once you set PS mode it will stay there until you change it, during boot up, to BC mode again.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Maine Sail. with the Ultra, how does it handle at-dock power supply for the 12v refer? Should it be in PS or BC?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hayden.... PS. That way the unit puts out 12 volts for power loads on the DC circuit You can remove the batteries and the charger puts out 12v DC. In BC - California rules, the charger turns of until the voltage of the battery drops to a stated voltage then it restarts. Only issue is if the battery drops to say 10 volts, lets conjecture from a power outage, when the AC dock power comes back, the battery level is not recognized and the charge stays off.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail. with the Ultra, how does it handle at-dock power supply for the 12v refer? Should it be in PS or BC?
I am not sure what the question really is here?

*BC Mode = Bulk>Absorption> Float> Sleep/Off/Meets CEC Requirement
*If power is lost in BC mode, and the batteries get discharged due to dockside loads being left on while unattended, the charger will not boot into a low voltage battery. In BC mode the charger will not operate without a battery in the system.

*PS Mode = Bulk>Absorption> Float/Maintain

*If power is lost in PS mode, and the batteries get discharged due to dockside loads being left on while unattended, the charger will boot into a low voltage battery and recharge the bank. In PS mode the charger will operate, as a power source, without a battery connected.