356 engine kill question

• Thread starter Former member 134612
  • Start date
F

Former member 134612

My 2003 Hunter 356 has the cable kill system for the engine. Killing the engine works great, but unless the lever is pushed (hard) to the forward position (kill cable pushed in) the engine will not crank. There are times I have to open the engine cover and physically pull on the lever while my wife starts the engine. I’ve tried adjusting the cable, but it has trouble pushing the lever without bending. Ican’t see a way to make an adjustment to the lever itself. Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
My 2003 Hunter 356 has the cable kill system for the engine. Killing the engine works great, but unless the lever is pushed (hard) to the forward position (kill cable pushed in) the engine will not crank. There are times I have to open the engine cover and physically pull on the lever while my wife starts the engine. I’ve tried adjusting the cable, but it has trouble pushing the lever without bending. Ican’t see a way to make an adjustment to the lever itself. Any ideas?
I am not familiar with your setup but generally speaking, a mechanical (cable) shutdown on the fuel system will not cause a no crank situation unless it has an electrical interface. Look for a switch at the control end or the engine end of the shut off control. If the system is set up to protect against engine cranking with the fuel shut off engaged the easiest way to do this is through a switch that closes when the shut off control is in the run position. It may be a push type switch that is engaged by the leaver of the shut off control, most likely at the fuel pump. If there is a switch it could be an adjustment issue. The electrics that are connected to the switch will be in the start circuit.

Good luck.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Lubricate the cable. A major Yanmar dealer suggests disconnecting the engine side of the cable and pulling it out to apply light oil to. I found that most the corrosion occurs in the first several inches of the cable so I would put some light oil on the cable and work it back and forth. I had pretty good results.

F

Former member 134612

Lubricate the cable. A major Yanmar dealer suggests disconnecting the engine side of the cable and pulling it out to apply light oil to. I found that most the corrosion occurs in the first several inches of the cable so I would put some light oil on the cable and work it back and forth. I had pretty good results.
Thanks. The problem is not the cable, it’s the lever that the cable activates.

F

Former member 134612

I am not familiar with your setup but generally speaking, a mechanical (cable) shutdown on the fuel system will not cause a no crank situation unless it has an electrical interface. Look for a switch at the control end or the engine end of the shut off control. If the system is set up to protect against engine cranking with the fuel shut off engaged the easiest way to do this is through a switch that closes when the shut off control is in the run position. It may be a push type switch that is engaged by the leaver of the shut off control, most likely at the fuel pump. If there is a switch it could be an adjustment issue. The electrics that are connected to the switch will be in the start circuit.

Good luck.
That makes sense. I’ll look for the switch.

DRMri

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 356 warwick ri
I ran into the same issue with mine. Once I disconnected the cable from the lever on the engine I found it had a lot of friction that kept it from moving. A couple of shots of WD 40 did the trick...

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Most cables and Teleflex brands have teflon liners. Lubricating degrades the teflon and causes the cable to'stick'
Nothing better than good old soapy water :)

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
There is no electrical switch. I had the problem once and it is at the engine end of the cable. Try to work it back and forth. It’s just a wire moving inside the sleeve and the wire moving the engine mounted lever.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Remove the cable and operate by hand, you should be able to tell if there is a problem and why it will not turn freely. If it is dirt clean and apply a dry lubricant, if it is metal friction replace parts.