New Catalina 30 Owner

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
My wife and I just purchased our first sailboat...a really clean 1989 Catalina 30. We are getting ready for our first big sail ever traveling from Solomons Island MD to our marina in Annapolis. We can't wait to get started!

She extremely clean on the inside and only needs some modest work including rebedding of some deck hardware. I am looking forward to doing much of that myself.

Hopefully this weekend will be warm enough to sail north...have to admit, when it comes to cold I am a bit of a fair weather sailor.
IMG_0348.jpeg
57229114655__C8E58663-D099-499B-8FE1-40186B42F609.jpg
IMG_0350.jpeg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sweet looking boat. Congratulations and welcome to SBO. Here you can ask all sorts of questions, even dumb ones. LOL Really though, you have come to the right place. Any issues, no matter how small or dumb, they will get the attention of our forum experts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations and Welcome.

Lovely boat, same trim as ours. :)

Couple of suggestions:

--- In addition to this fine and very helpful website and forum, you should investigate addtional sources of C30 internet wisdom. www.catalina30.com and others from a Google search will find you lots of great ideas and cost savings tips & tricks

--- Please remove those turnbuckle covers, unless you find them essential for clearing your jib sheets when tracking. They're not good for the metal in the turnbuckles or shrouds.

--- What engine do you have?

Good luck, have fun, enjoy :)

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
She looks in nice shape Don. Congratulations.
While you're at it, c'mon over and join the IC30A forum at
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30
1600+ owners with lots of ideas, resources (and yes, sometimes opinions) for you.
You might join the Assn also (if you haven't already.)

-Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @DonRS she is a fine looking boat. I predict many fun times ahead for you and your crew.
Fair winds and Happy sails.

And when you get frustrated because something about the boat seems off, remember us here and tell us the story. We function like a Dr Phil show but with less drama.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Congrats! An equipped 30' is just the right size for a couple and the occasional guests onboard for a cruise and socializing. We're enjoying ours!

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
Thanks for the great welcome! I have attached pictures that we took today as we were setting up. I am joining the suggested groups...our boat has good bones but still needs work. A good cleaning outside, fixing some broken interior lights, adding new lines and getting ready for the new season. We have a 25 horse Universal engine with about 1500 hours and we ran it for an hour cruise today: 1600 RPM at about 150 degrees. Two new fully charged batteries but the engine is a bit of a slow starter...cranks slow at first and then quicker and then starts.

Great little cruise...engine was really quiet and the bay was ours. We are looking forward to getting the sails out but not today...by the time we got out the temps started to fall and we decided to just motor a bit.

Next up, get a couple of things fixed up and we are ready to go from Solomons Island in Maryland up to WhiteHall at Annapolis. One thing that needs adjusted is the transmission shift lever...the things is really stiff and this is the second 30 that I have sailed with a stiff, PIA transmission lever. And the carpet on the floor, it has got to go!
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0411.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0410.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Catalina is a great brand. Join your international association lots of good info.

Feb 26, 2004
We have a 25 horse Universal engine with about 1500 hours and we ran it for an hour cruise today: 1600 RPM at about 150 degrees. Two new fully charged batteries but the engine is a bit of a slow starter...cranks slow at first and then quicker and then starts.
It's either an M25 or M25XP, 21 or 23 hp.

These may also help you out:

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

Critical Upgrades http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

Looks great. Enjoy.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We love our 1985 C30, I'm sure you will too.

You need to check this page out: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html It has some important safety and reliability information. (C34s share much with our C30s) Especially since you have staring issues be sure to check the section on the engine wiring harness. If this has not already been addressed, it is important that it be done sooner rather than later. Ours had not been taken care of when we bought it. The PO had spent a lot of money on a (likely auto or truck) mechanic to fix his starting issues. Solenoids, starter rewires, all kinds of things. After we bought her I read the above page and checked the wiring harness. It was partially melted. New wires solved that AND the starting issues.

Please check my FB page for some mods we've done to ours.
https://www.facebook.com/sophie.wolcott.96/
photos?1st=100029716475706%3A100029716475706%3A1553520797

Engine Harness (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My only advice for a new old boat owner is to go over every system and do the preventive maintenance. This will give you a baseline and also familiarize you with how things work. I keep a log of what was done when so know when to repeat the service. All improvement such as the dripless shaft seal, ProCharger etc get logged also with where and how much it cost.
My categories are:
  • Engine/Drivetrain
  • Hull exterior
  • Sails & Rigging
  • Electrical systems
  • plumbing
  • deck hardware
  • Safety equipment

Feb 26, 2004
Good advice, Justin, for the new owner. Our point, however, was that there are some very boat-specific things he needs to check via those links before he even gets to your ideas.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good advice, Justin, for the new owner. Our point, however, was that there are some very boat-specific things he needs to check via those links before he even gets to your ideas.
Point taken Stu. Most boats have their weak points that need to be addressed first. Especially before a big sail on a new boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
There are several threads here on the M18 and cross referencing parts

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/cross-reference-for-m18-to-kubota-parts.189556/

Is one. Search is your friend. The block is a D600 according to this. Slow or hard starting could be the glow plugs - if there is no relay or they need replacing. Original wiring was very poor - too small too long wrong connectors..... check out the links Stu gave you. Mine improved on my M25 after I replaced the harness and added a relay for the starter solenoid

Feb 26, 2004
Two new fully charged batteries but the engine is a bit of a slow starter...cranks slow at first and then quicker and then starts.
Don,

You'll be pleased to know that the answer to your problem is in the links already posted here. :) The Critical Upgrades link has a thread about Hard Starting! Sound familiar. Good luck, happy reading, safe boating.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
It's either an M25 or M25XP, 21 or 23 hp.

DonRS, a mk-II '89 should have an M-25XP.
If your sticker is not on the exhaust manifold -- if you do some upside down calisthenics with a flashlight, above the 2ndary fuel filter
IMG_20141009_185750 (Medium).jpg
you'll see a "8xx cc" (M-25) or "9xx cc" (XP) cast into the engine block.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@DonRS Welcome to the forum and Welcome to C30 ownership. This is our second season with ours and we love it. Just the right size for two and very comfortable.

You really do need to read the links posted by @Stu Jackson, @OS2Dude and @weekendrken. The trailer plugs had been removed on mine but the butt connectors that replaced them were burnt to a crisp. Don't know how the boat started for the sea trial.

What keel do you have, fin or wing? I love the look of the tall rig with bow sprit. Mine is a TR with wing keel. Looks like you have a good and complete set of canvas.

Best of luck with it!

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
My old 25XP was a Kubota D950 engine. I did find detailed parts and maintenance info online. You can go to the local Kubota dealer with a part number and they can order, but they usually cannot look up marine parts. Also, if you should verify the condition of the mast step block at the front of the bilge.

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Nice boat! I also have an 89 TR/WK which I bought about four years ago. My boat was not as clean as yours but had good bones - or at least nothing that a modest money and work would not fix. I have done the wiring upgrade, glow-plug solenoid replacement, run bigger electrical cables, done the LED conversion and many, many more things that may be part of your future. The forum guided me through most of these things so don't hesitate to ask. One thing - you mentioned sticky controls. I disconnected both cables, and stuck them each through a baggie. I taped the baggie so that it acted like a funnel and poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the bag, suspending it so that the lubricant would slowly work its way the length of the cable over the next couple days. It did a lot to free up my cables. I also replaced the rubber shift/throttle handles with the optional stainless steel units. Big improvement. Hope to see you on the Bay.