23' Sink Drains

Feb 25, 2019
O'Day 23-2 Lake Keowee
Hi everyone... Just bought my first sailboat and am excited to fix her up. I have a lot of questions but first is where do the sinks drain to on a 1978 23' O'Day?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Welcome to the forum, atomichead. First, look under the sink. You should see a hose connected to the sink drain. Follow it to the end where it should be connected to a thru-hull ball valve imbedded in the hull. The valve should have a lever to open and close it. This allows the sink to drain to the outside and allows you to close it if needed. If the valve has a round handle to open and close than you have a gate valve. Does the same thing but is not as secure as a ball valve. Let us know what you find.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The internet, sailing magazines and logic. The close tolerance between the ball and the valve housing is more likely to have corrosion build up that could make it difficult to open. Reminds me a bit of a corroded bolt.

Feb 25, 2019
O'Day 23-2 Lake Keowee
Roland, there were no drain hoses connected to either sink. Are the head and galley sinks connected to the same thru-hull? Is the thru hull on the transom?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Roland, there were no drain hoses connected to either sink.
Where does the water go when you drain the sink? How about a pic of under both sinks? That would help.

Are the head and galley sinks connected to the same thru-hull? Is the thru hull on the transom?
I'm not familiar with that boat but the water has to go someplace. Need someone who knows that model to chime in.

Tfin70

Jul 23, 2012
O'Day 23-2 N/A
I have a 1978 23-2 as well. The galley sink is attached to a hose that exits the starboard side more towards the aft.
The head sink is attached to a separate hose the goes forward under the V-birth and empties on the port side.
There's another through hull in the stern that is connected to the cockpit drain hose as well.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I traced all of the plumbing on Bella when we got her. A sailor has to know his boat.