Spring Cruise - 2019

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Getting pumped for the upcoming Spring Cruise, April 6-14, 2019. Genoa repaired and back on the boat this coming Saturday. Looking forward to some water time. No specific sail plan, but there are a few new anchorages I have not tried. Indian Cove on the east side of Shaw, or Picnic Cove just a bit more north, here https://mapcarta.com/23942122.

Another is here, Sylvan Cove. https://mapcarta.com/23971492

Anybody else?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sylvan cove looks nice in all but a NNW or NW breeze.

Let me see what can be completed to do a visit.

Dec 25, 2000
One drawback with these anchorages in Upright Channel would be boat wakes. Channel can get busy during the boating season, but should be quiet this time of the year.

Oct 22, 2014
One would just have to see what happens and be ready to move on if conditions called for it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Depends on when I get the standing rigging replaced. Hope to will be first week of April

Contact you you there

May 20, 2016
Squaw Bay looks mighty thin on water unless your almost out of the bay. Indian Cove next door looks better.

You said you’ve never been to Barlow Bay nice walk to Ice Berg Pt.

Oct 22, 2014
Do it when the wind is from the north... Great shelter. If you get weather coming in from the West (up the Juan D'Fuca) it looks to me that you might be a wee bit exposed. Depends on how tucked in you want to be. I like it. It is a pretty spot. I know that Les has used it a few times as a napping place while waiting for Cattle Point to calm down.

May 20, 2016
Nope Barlow is sheltered from all directions.

John I think you remembering outer bay - which is good for day use only. Way too exposed to the west.

Oct 22, 2014
Well obviously I need to get my boat out on the water and doing some anchoring. My mind is too filled with thoughts.

Dec 25, 2000
Nope Barlow is sheltered from all directions.

John I think you remembering outer bay - which is good for day use only. Way too exposed to the west.
We've had some terrible anchoring experiences in MacKaye Harbor. Very uncomfortable with the rollers coming in from the Strait. During those times we usually anchored in front of the B&B. Barlow appears to be a much better spot.

Dec 25, 2000
Have you picked a spot to start at Terry?? Let me know so I can join in.

Les
Great to hear. No hard spot yet, just on the water. I'm open to suggestions. We could rendezvous in Barlow? Tom Burgess from Friday Harbor wants to join in on his Dana 24. He's nursing a cold at the moment but should be well in a day or so. A short jaunt for him.