Bimini's and awnings, use one?

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Am I seeing two cowl vents on a single dorade box in this pic??
Yes Gene. Mid eighties Hunter 28.5 / 31 and 34 have these. Unfortunately don't have an interior cabin pic of the dorade box vents.
IMG_1065.JPG

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I made my sunshades out of Phifertex mesh, it blocks 70% of the UV without blocking the breeze, you can feel the difference when you step under it. Downside is when the sun is fairly directly overhead, the rays get through, so I am going to make a rectangular piece out of Sunbrella to put over the open companionway.
20160528_164451.jpg

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yes Gene. Mid eighties Hunter 28.5 / 31 and 34 have these. Unfortunately don't have an interior cabin pic of the dorade box vents. View attachment 162562
I would guess they are two different vents in the same box with a divider?
Yes Gene. Mid eighties Hunter 28.5 / 31 and 34 have these. Unfortunately don't have an interior cabin pic of the dorade box vents. View attachment 162562
I would guess they are two different vents in the same box with a divider?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
All the user feedback is great, thanks. I have a sense of this stuff now.

Won't have the same flapping potential of Sunbrella in the wind(I wasn't aware of that), so it can run far down the lifelines with minimal lashings.

The Sunbrella awning's opaque effect directly overhead, will still be appreciated from the mid-day high sun. The shading material will take over in the afternoon.

This photo was taken in Belfast Harbor on 9/3/15 at 4:03 PM. It must have been an unusually warm afternoon as I took the shot of the thermometer in the shade of the sun awning.
9-3-15 Belfast Harbor 4-13pm.jpg

As long as I can get out of direct sunlight in extreme temperatures, I'm happy even when it gets very warm on our coast.

However my partner has too much Celtic blood and can't tolerate the heat. The shade material will be a real plus on hot afternoons onboard.

Anchored on a hot mid summer day, Maine is an odd mix of fire and ice. The air temperature can rise into the 80's in the shade, yet, your boat is floating in a cool sea that rarely gets out of the 60's.

This photo sorts it all out: Jump overboard and cool off with your sun hat on.
Pea 3 slight crop.jpg

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Your comment biminis are rare up north? Most people including me I know have one. Where did you learn this
I wondered the same thing...I think I’m the only guy on my block that doesn’t have a bimini or a dodger. I couldn’t find anybody nearby with the knowledge to make a good one. Everyone with a solid reputation wanted me to bring the boat to them with good reason. Their places of business were a day’s sail away.
Because the season here is so short, I would rather have found someone willing to work on the boat while it was in winter storage. Hence, I have done without for 14 seasons.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In the water with only a hat...You Maine folk are a bit wild...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I wondered the same thing...I think I’m the only guy on my block that doesn’t have a bimini or a dodger. I couldn’t find anybody nearby with the knowledge to make a good one. Everyone with a solid reputation wanted me to bring the boat to them with good reason. Their places of business were a day’s sail away.
Because the season here is so short, I would rather have found someone willing to work on the boat while it was in winter storage. Hence, I have done without for 14 seasons.
Biminis and dodgers are pretty popular here in Central NY. Midsummer sun is pretty bright and hot. I sailed for years without either a dodger or Bimini, and wonder now how I put up with all the sun.

Full enclosures are becoming increasingly popular. They add an extra room with mosquito netting or vinyl windows. Much warmer in the spring and fall, drier during a rainstorm.

Oct 22, 2014
I hobbled a sort of sunshade together last year. While I am considering a Bimini and a dodger (experiencing the value of a dodger on our Winter Adventure) getting one that fits the boat and allows for easy movement about the boat is a priority in my planning. A full enclosure is nice when your sitting, but when you need to move on the boat a poorly designed unit can impede your movement or endanger your movement.

I am looking at how I can redesign the sun shade for this season, making sitting in the cockpit a pleasure. I have often observed spinnaker like material floating above an area providing shade and a light airy feeling to the space. No one has identified such material in use. All has been a heavy canvas, Sunbrella, or plastic mesh product.

Is sail or tent material a viable option?

Neso-Tents-Beach-Tent-with-Sand-Anchor-Portable-Canopy-SunShade-7-x-7.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
cheap blue plastic tarp tied above boom and to the rig. works at the dock/anchor or when motoring.

Oct 22, 2014
Sure it works, but with such beautiful boats, doesn't seem a bit tacky to go "cheap blue plastic"?

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you Russ. I read that and it is a pretty red color. Where did you get it? What is the material and weight? What size worked on your boat?

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Great thread, Ive been looking at shading for a while and just started my first project out of Sunbrella.
I purchased a cheap Singer Sewing Machine from Amazon for $125.00. It handles Sunbrella and weather resistant heavy gauge thread without an issue. It will sew through 4 layers easily. Just finished my front shade and getting ready to sew a new helm cover.

upload_2019-3-18_13-19-7.jpeg

upload_2019-3-18_13-19-44.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
One more thing to add to this thread -- I use the FixClips that are sold on this site to firmly attach my shadecloth to my bimini. Those clips are perfect for this, and can go around the bimini's support bars or flat fabric, as needed.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Seems SBO might have removed FixClips from the store. You can find them online. Recommended

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Awnings are indispensable for live aboard or someone who spends a lot of time at the dock. For shade underway a bimini is best. It is surprising how an awning can lower the temperature inside the cabin allowing A/C a fighting chance against high temps and humidity.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tropical areas are where awnings are put to use. This boat has the typical awning over the cockpit, house and side decks. All protected in the midday sun. High enough to walk around beneath you could see it being very pleasant below with the breeze from the bow. Added is an awning over the forward hatch. Cooled air below plus protection from a shower. This boat also has a short bimini over the helm. Experienced tropical boat.

Only I know the protection will be minimal in the afternoon hours. Maybe they have side curtains?