What a flake!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I handle the boat solo most of the time. So it’s lazy jacks, flake, sail ties and cover. If the boat isn’t bouncing and rocking too much I’ll have it ready for the cover when I enter my slip.
When I do flake the sail underway I’m usually inside the harbor in light airs. To get to the end of the boom when the Bimini is up, I haul the boom far over to port side and secure it so it does not swing. Admiral lowers the main with short stops while I flake. She also has to keep the correct heading (relative to wind) so the sail will come down mostly onto the boom. So, there is some rocket science there!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Flake it PROPERLY (I must emphasize with inexperienced guests or family as crew), and make sure the halyards are tight and secure before putting on the cover (which doesn't completely fit). Seeing as I'm already paying for a new suit of sails, I'll be ordering a new mains'l cover as well. I just use old strips of backpack straps for sail ties, works like a charm. Now, when I'm out sailing on my own, it's a different story. I place the tiller extension in a socket and lock it to keep the boat pointing into the wind, but that technique only works if I drop the main quickly (flaking is not quick). Thus, on my own, I run up, drop the main, roll it up the best I can and just let it lay on top of the cabin (luckily my halyard drops low enough). This is, of course, assuming I'm not sailing back into my slip. With a nice southerly breeze, I can go all the way up the channel, into the marina and straight to my slip no problem under main alone. I do this as often as I can to save fuel, avoid dropping my main and leaving the tiller unmanned for any period of time. After drifting nicely into my spot, I step off, secure the boat and flake the main nice and neatly. Tidy up the cockpit, stow lines, check fuel, log hours and notes and shut everything down, rinse the deck and hull with the hose and off to Tookie's to meet friends for a burger and fried jalapeños!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
My first year of self taught sailing had some very flakey sails indeed:confused:. then one day when I discovered, quite by accident, that I needed to flake from the rear of the boom and pull BACK on the sail material to get a proper flake, things started looking much better :). I still find it funny that you very rarely hear that little detail mentioned when the subject comes up. perhaps it's considered obvious? for the past few years now, since learning how, I find I can have a neatly flaked sail in minutes, even when solo sailing. no need for other contraptions on a 25' boat IMHO.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
When I got new sails a couple years ago I went from Lazy Jacks to the Dutchman system. After getting the Dutchman system set up, I'm very happy with it, preferring it over my previous Lazy Jack system.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The Hanse 495 we chartered in 2017 had the stack pack. The whole rig was too high off the deck for us to easily close the zipper, so it (stack pack) stayed open the whole 14-day charter. BTW, it was open (unzipped) when we took possession of the boat. With the Bimini up, there was also no good way to get to or work the end of the boom for any kind of flaking. Too much work anyway for a boat that’s underway nearly every day.:snooty:
I've seen a few w/super long zipper pull strings (like a wet suit) and of course, if the boat has a topping lift, the boom can be lowered some.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
LOL this thread is about as interesting to me as "what's your favorite color"? There is no wrong answer, and no global right answer. Just what you like. For me, Royal Blue. But that's just me!
but JD, what do you have on BlueJ's main? On most boats I've raced the luff comes out of the groove each day, flaked on the boom, cover lays flat front to back on the boom. Small boats: luff off, rolled. My boat, and J122: Luff slides and cars so flaked on top then traditional sail cover.

:edit: Dark Green

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My boat, and J122: Luff slides and cars so flaked on top then traditional sail cover.
This is exactly what we do. The main is in a track system, so it comes down and we 'saddlebag' it back and forth across the boom, each track car laying back and fro. Loosely tied with sail-ties, and then the extra-size cover lays over the whole deal. No sharp bends. That main is 2+ years old and still looks brand new.

flake.jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I normally flake our mainsail alone, from the mast. I've rigged my own lazy-jacks with 4 lower legs (the mains foot is 17+' long). One thing I've done is flake it in the same direction. I know the first first fold between my slugs on the bronze sail track, goes away from me - the next to me - next away,...and so on.

If it's not too windy I'll sheet the mizzen hard on the centerline and bring the boat into the wind. While there is still way on, from the mast I'll lower the fully battened main sail slowly enough to get the above back and forth flaking going. About the time most of the sail is flaked (the hard part), the boat will heave to by itself and drift down wind at a 1/2kt or so.

Sometimes,...it works like this:
Hove to furling main.jpg

There is simply no chance of flaking this main (by yourself), without something to hold it in place. Either outside or once moored/ anchored, I loosely tie sail strops, at least 5, around the upturned flakes cradled in the lazy jacks.

Next I un-cleat the Lazy jacks, pull them down and forward, and loop them at the mast. All that's left is to push the tied loose flakes, down around the boom.

The cover goes over everything. The lazy jacks stay out of the way, at the mast, for the next hoist and only get deployed before I drop the main again.

As often as not, the lazy jacks just contain the main until I can get out of the wind and sea to deal with it. That can be a chore if the flakes fell helter skelter, each way.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
Well, Scott t.bird, & others, I actually have had some communication from capt.Andrew about this ; I also asked James Baldwin his views of my boat's 1950s on the boom mainsail roll furling system. they used to be popular in the 50s & 60s; it has a gear drive, boom is 15 ft long. so it actually rolls up more easily for me, without help, than climbing from the boom end to the mast to lay up nice flaking, also the goosneck is hoisted up (for anchor times, or drawn down (like a cunningham) to tension the luff, I have flaked it on occasions but it is a LOT of climbing to do a nice looking job whilst the ol rolling furl is so easy to accomplish! My main is pretty heavily resined , it doesn't really fold over to flake very easily, so rolling is allowing me NOT to force flaking creases into my nice stiff sail, just yet. I made a sail cover (from Sailrite ) big enough to easily slip it over the whole boom/sail for complete UV prot. Now then, my Jib & forsl are hankon, so I have made bags & rigged what I think is clled a "DaveGerr Downhaul" this set up basically get the sails down & drawn pretty much headed into their bags ( also Sailrite kits ) in about 7 seconds each, (headed to wind) .So I testify the old tyme methods can/do work , at least for this lazy ol'guy.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have to say that on a 40' production boat with full batten main, flaking it without some support is going to take a crew. For one thing, it's heavy. For another, the battens fall off to the side and droop. I purchased this boat 20+ years ago. It had a Dutchman system OEM. The prior owner was dissatisfied with it and put a bag cover on it. I fought with that for a few years and finally took it off and kept the lazy jacks, modifying them to be retractable. That's how I sailed for ten years, but getting that sail straight and wrestling the straps and cover on finally did me in. With much trepidation, I explored a furling boom, but the boat dollars were too steep and the reviews mixed. I went for another bag and it's worked out. There is a learning curve and I still have to pull the battens back before I zip it, but it is an improvement. I put a zipper train on it, but it wasn't worth the effort and I removed it. FWIW....

B

bert flake

Hey Folks, what's with this "Flaking " thing. Heck ! I'm a Flake ! Really ! ! ! My name is Bert Flake. I had a 25 Lancer for 28 years and in that time I solved my "flaking " problem. I developed a sail tie that worked to fit the need of an over canvased 25. It took me three years to develop this unit and I was "forced " into producing then for the market. I sold them out of the Marine stores in Portland Or. They solved the problem of how to tie up a was of canvas that wasn't minding orders I gave to it. Simple quality webbing, simple loop, easy to release, easy to flake. After all , it takes a Flake to know one ! Say , and historians of this sight out there. Tell me how this site came to be ? Thanks, Bert

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am lazy. Drop the sail into my Mack Pack bag with lazy-jacks. Stuff the sail in and zip it up. Not pretty, but covered and secured before I get to the dock, even when sailing solo.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is great to welcome a fellow flaker.
Tell me more about your tie that simplifies the process. Flaking is an honorable skill.

Good to have you sharing here on the SBO sight.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
This is exactly what we do. The main is in a track system, so it comes down and we 'saddlebag' it back and forth across the boom, each track car laying back and fro. Loosely tied with sail-ties, and then the extra-size cover lays over the whole deal. No sharp bends. That main is 2+ years old and still looks brand new.
5 crew on the main? That is just not fair.

I have found my automatic lazy jacks are a must on my small boat. The sail will not stay on the boom without them. Had the boat for 2 years before installing. Made a night and day difference in how fast we can get the main down. Sailing on Carlyle Lake, the shoreline is large rocks. You have to get the main down and secure with plenty of fudge factor, so there is no chance of getting blown into the rocks. Centerboard has to be part way up as well. Under those conditions, we are able to sail the boat much closer to the shore before dropping the main. Its a much calmer experience coming in.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Flake and cover for now. I can see into the future and it looks more and more like furling main, hopefully! :cool:
I hope you get there! There have been very few improvements in sailing that are as important as 'infinite reefing" to the safety of the boat and the sailors.
But please remember, there is a learning curve. Take it slow in the beginning and if things begin to go array, stop, back it up and try again.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
t is just what needs to be completed before you move on to the next experience.

Is is a chore? Well yes...
As the stoic philosopher, Marcus Aurelius, might have said, do what you need to do and let habit make it pleasurable.
John, you have found your pleasures in a lifetime of sailing.
:clap:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Now that my knees aren't as nimble as they used to be, I prefer to drop the main from the cockpit, short handed or solo, even in super high winds, and without needing a lot of sea room to point tightly into the wind.

A Tides Track System with retractable lazy jacks is the best compromise for me. We tidy the flakes up at the dock, secure it with a few sail ties and put the cover on. It's a laminate mainsail, so we tie it loosely, under a loose fitting sail.cover loose. We avoid putting hard creases in the fabric.

I like StackPaks because they are more convenient than a separate mainsail cover, but they cause too much windage for me on this a high performance boat like a Corsair Trimaran.

Judy